pogrom

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

pogrom

Postby eberntson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:19 am

pogrom (n.)

A devastation, destruction of innocent victims.

Was reading an article on Smithsonian site about how the Anglo-Saxons massacred Dane population in England in the 10th century and came across this word. The article referred to the Anglo-Saxon ruler was King Aethelred the Unraed (literally “the ill-advised”). Unraed apparently in not a English word.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: pogrom

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Unraed is indeed usually unread in English, although historians do speak of Ethelred the Unready. I think the rhyme scheme is appealing.

Unfortunately Assad's program seems to include pograms, though Britain, at least, is unready to do something about it.
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:52 am

Once bitten, twice shy might be a useful maxim in this case - though I'd suggest it may simply reflect the thinking that it's a good idea to have a considered plan to ensure the situation is not made worse by whatever action is taken. That said the humanitarian case is clearly a lot stronger than 2003 - if the powers that be could explain why whatever they might be getting up to is a good idea then I - and I guess most UK citizens - would certainly support action.
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:21 pm

I was mostly punning. Currently there's surprising reluctance in the US among both conservatives and liberals. As you indicated, no one is sure what the outcome would be. We increasingly seem to be forced to choose between supporting a dictator or Sharia.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 pm

In Luke 14:31, Jesus insists that a wise leader does not go into battle without a win strategy. "Bomb them a little and they might straighten out a little bit," doesn't seem much of a win strategy.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:11 am

In Luke 14:31, Jesus insists that a wise leader does not go into battle without a win strategy. "Bomb them a little and they might straighten out a little bit," doesn't seem much of a win strategy.
Quite, well put sir. Whilst humanitarian grounds may be an acceptable reason to put our forces on the line, I'd personally expect a definitive objective that could be expressed in some manner, and a strategy to reach such.
Iain

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 am

Unraed is indeed usually unread in English, although historians do speak of Ethelred the Unready. I think the rhyme scheme is appealing.
Ethelred the Unready is a modern English name. Way back in his time, it was Æþelræd Unræd - which Wikipedia says is:
a pun meaning "Noble counsel, No counsel". The nickname has alternatively been taken adjectivally as "ill-advised", "ill-prepared", "indecisive", thus "Æthelred the ill-advised".
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”