Susan Lister RIP

What's new at alphaDictionary.com.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Susan Lister RIP

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:25 am

Susan Lister passed away in hospital Thursday, August 29. Susan taught Spanish in Cupertino, California and was the co-author of Medical Spanish, now in its 4th edition. She has participated in the building of this website since its inception (see What Kids Say in School for example) and, before that, yourDictionary.com when that was my website and I was Dr. Language. She also sent me many, many Good Word suggestions over the years.

She will be sorely missed by me and, I suspect, many of you.
Last edited by Dr. Goodword on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Susan Lister RIP

Postby Slava » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:55 am

My condolences to her family, you, and the rest of the Agora. She did provide us with quite a few Good Words.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:41 pm

My sincere sympathy to you all.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm

It diminishes us all by more than one when someone like Susan Lister leaves us. Good language is the musical glue that binds us to real communication and better understanding. I send red cedar and sweet sage wishes to facilitate her passage.

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 pm

My sincerest condolences to Susan,s family.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:58 am

Although I did not know Ms. Lister, her contributions must have been considerable--a life well lived. My condolences to her family.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 pm

My condolences to her family ad friends. The agora will be a poorer place in her absence.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: Susan Lister RIP -- Pierre Laberge

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:59 am

Pierre Laberge wrote this from Canada:

Susan Lister was a word lover, a book lover, a music lover, a dance lover. She loved history, particularly word history, and the history of computers. She loved great conversations, great food, and travel. She spoke English and Spanish perfectly, she also knew some French, some Latin, and even a few words of Japanese. She had the gift of gab, and the gift of languages. She had a terrific sense of humor, and always liked a good joke or a good story.

She made some excellent contributions to several of Dr. Beard's websites over the years, as well as a number of other sites. (She also bought, and loved, most of Dr. Beard's excellent books.) I do know that Dr. Beard's emails, books, and websites gave her significant pleasure. She was a great friend (to me and to many others), a great teacher to a number of medical professionals, and a great partner, to her current partner Robert. Her late husband had been a US Marine, and a real estate broker.

One of her favourite things was going to Clint Eastwood's restaurant, in Carmel. (He sold it a while back.) But he ate with her and Robert several times, and even bought supper a couple of times! She was a person who lived life to the fullest. She was very generous in helping others, too. She had "e-friends" around the world. Farewell, good friend! She will be sorely missed by all of us.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:52 pm

So sorry for your loss, Doctor, and to the Agorans as well.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Site News”