Quarantine

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Winblad
Junior Lexiterian

Quarantine

Postby Winblad » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:39 am

Hello everybody!

I would like to suggest the word "quarantine" as a good word.
Happy Weekend

Winblad
We must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Quarantine

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm

I thought I knew this one, but it turns out it goes farther back than I thought. Good Good Word. Not only that, but it would add to our Qs. :D

I wonder if it has anything to do with the biblical flood of forty days and nights.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Winblad
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Winblad » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello Slava -

yes, I think it does. Thanks very much for your attention. I am always intrigued by your comments.

The friendliest of greetings
Winblad / Ruth

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Quarantine laws are a vital safeguard against disease. Dallas has recently had a spate of measles. All the infections came from a single source of foreign travel by a member of a local church. It spread across church members and into the public. Babies cannot be vaccinated for measles so quarantines were necessary for people who had not been vaccinated and would be near infants.

My great-grandfather was an MD. He went around logging camps to quarantine them because there was scarlet fever in the camps. He died doing his job. He refused to give his life for the Confederacy. He gave it willingly for his patients.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Another interesting point about quarantine is that it goes both ways. You can quarantine in or out.

Not quite a two-fer word, but a nice doubling anyway.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Winblad
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Winblad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 am

I wonder if it has anything to do with the biblical flood of forty days and nights.
Yes, it does. But 40 days is a period that occurs quite frequently in the Bible (e.g. Exodus: Moses was with God 40 days and 40 nights). Quite complex, I believe.

Incidentally I came across the word "stubborningly" today in a text written by an American. I wanted to ask whether this word exists at all (Google returns oodles of quotes), but I couldn't find it in any dictionary.

I wanted to post a question here but couldn't find a suitable Forum. So maybe my question gets lost somewhere in the universe.

Winblad

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:23 am

Stubborningly? A sign of illiteracy, perhaps? I can't even dream up a meaning for it. Yuck! :evil:

If the question you mention is not about this moronic "word," you could always use Res Diversae. That's the place for "everything else."

Winblad
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Winblad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Stubborningly? A sign of illiteracy, perhaps? I can't even dream up a meaning for it. Yuck! :evil: "
Many thanks! I am happy that I was right. The word sounds so ugly. As you say: yuck! It was in a text that I had to translate, written by an American person. Thanks for pointing out "res diversae". I should have thought of it.

Winblad

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Good luck with the translation. If the rest of the text is anything like that, you're going to need it.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”