Vamoose

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Vamoose

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 pm

• vamoose •

Pronunciation: væ-musHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: (Regional slang) To leave, take off, bug out, hit the road, beat it, push off, skidoo, split, take a powder (from our Historical Dictionary of American Slang).

Notes: Today's Good Word is pure slang originating in the US Southwest, and was very popular in US Westerns (cowboy movies) of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s. It was another word in the vocabulary of an old favorite of mine in the Westerns of the 40s, Gabby Hayes, whom we have already cited for his use of cahoots "plotting with". Since it was borrowed from Spanish and materially corrupted, it remains a lexical orphan with no other English words related to it.

In Play: If you want to talk like a movie cowboy, you might say something like this to your kids: "Let's vamoose, little buckaroos, and see if we can't rustle up some grub." (Translation: "Let's go, kids, and see if we can't find some food.") You wouldn't want to use this word at a job interview, but in a situation where a little Western flavor would not be out of place, you might say, "As soon as the line dancing was over, everyone vamoosed as though they were all in cahoots."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a serious mispronunciation of Spanish vamos "let's go". Spanish inherited the word from Latin vadamus "were we to go", a form of vadere "to go". It is the same verb used in Henryk Sienkiewicz's famous historical novel (1895) Quo Vadis? "Where are you going?", a love story set in Rome during the reign of Nero. The Proto-Indo-European base wadh- "to go" entered Old English as wadan "to go" and came down to us as wade. The meaning of this word is not far removed from a Latin derivation of vadere, vadum "a ford". (We should not vamoose before thanking Barbara Kelly for bringing this funny English borrowing from our neighbors to the south.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Vamoose

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:05 pm

In Texas we love those transmogrified Spanish words.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 am

Vamoose: Bellow of mother moose to her calves.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:37 am

Me grandmither, of sainted memry, used it on us
chilluns, when she wanted us out of the bakery.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 pm

If you want the 75th US Attorney General to scram, what do you say?

Vamoose Meese!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Strictly and grammatically speaking don't you say let's go in Spanish by "vamonos?"
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Strictly and grammatically speaking don't you say let's go in Spanish by "vamonos?"
I don't speak Spanish, so I hesitated to say anything on this point. Now that you have brought it up, I must say it sounds right to me, even if it is simply because I've seen the movie "West Side Story" several times.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 am

I'm being a little picky. "Let's go" in Spanish is "vámonos". You really need the á. If one submits vamonos to a Spanish to English translation program, it doesn't work.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:06 am

Pick away, pick away. Isn't that part of what we are here for?

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 am

I'd say vamanos is correct Spanish for "Let's go!"--not vamos. Likely cowpokes corrupted vamanos to "vamoose," not such a stretch when you think about it.

As for vamanos, I've heard it most often in "Vamanos muchachos!" (Let's go, boys!) Anyone with even a smattering of Spanish who lives in the Southwest will recognize the expression, often employed humorously by gringos like me.
Here's a link to a lithograph entitled "Vamanos muchachos!" by a Western artist.
http://www.friendsofwesternart.org/page ... chos53.php

Adios, amigos.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Philip, I knew about the accent, but am lazy. Most of us on the forum often omit quotes, as I certainly do.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 pm

We are all singing off the same page here. I added a little grace note over the a to make it á. And of course Vamoose is an adaptation of vámonos. Can't I give Perry a little grief if I choose to? (smiley face)

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 pm

#sobs
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”