BRUNET

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

BRUNET

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

• brunet •

Pronunciation: bru-netHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Having dark brown hair and eyes or a person with these traits. 2. Dark complexioned or a dark complexioned person.

Notes: How should we spell today's Good Word: brunet or brunette? The general rule is that brunet refers to a male (boy or man) or to a person of unspecified gender (male or female). Brunette is reserved for females only, in a class of dwindling "feminine" nouns like majorette, coquette, and even the very new bachelorette. The abstract nouns brunetness and brunetteness are synonyms today. Of course, to refer to a person, simply use these adjectives themselves as nouns: a brunet, the brunette.

In Play: Because there are more brunets than blondes, Westerners tend to find them less interesting: "Poor Gloria Street can't understand how blondes have more fun when there are far, far more brunets out there trying." Well, blondes may have more fun but brunets probably have more sensible clothes. The problem lies in determining exactly how many blondes are out there since many ostensible blondes are brunets incognito. ;-)

Word History: Today's word is a diminutive of Old French brun "brown" (meaning "somewhat brown"), which was identical to the Old English word for "brown", brun. In fact, Old French may have borrowed this one from us. The root of the word is identical to the Proto-Indo-European root for (to) bear (bher-, which we discussed in yesterday's Word History. So etymologists are not surprised that the English word for "a bear" is bear, too, since it was originally the word for "brown". Those Vikings known for going especially berserk on their raids were called berserkers, a compound noun from the related Old Norse word björn "bear" + serkr "shirt". They wore no armor, only bearskin clothing. Some English speaker then went berserk in the 1820s and borrowed this word, as if we needed another one. (Today's Good Word emerged from a discussion between Elizabeth Claridge and her husband, neither of whom shared their hair-color[ing] with us.)

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BRUNET

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:04 pm

I find knowing and seeing the development of
PIE most interesting. Wish I knew about it decades ago.
I probably did, but paid little interest. It influences so much.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:00 pm

behr: a now extinct Proto-Indo-European bear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the word blond, refers to a male, blonde to a female. But, as the good doc observes, brunet refers to a person of unspecified gender, and brunette refers to a female.

So when doc quipped, "The problem lies in determining exactly how many blondes (females) are out there since many ostensible blondes (females) are brunets (males or females) incognito," did he intend to say "brunettes" (females?) Or did he intend "brunets", in which case I have a greater appreciation for his sense of humor?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm

MTC: right back atcha, as they say: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewt ... 048#p41048

"...brunettes dissemble blonds...? :P

:D

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Touche, Slava.

I will correct my Freudian and/or grammatical slip.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”