locavore

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

locavore

Postby call_copse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:26 am

This being one who eats locally grown food as a matter of preference. There is also locavorism.

A reasonably recent neologism, and I had heard the concept alright, but only just came upon the word. Worth any kind of treatment?
Iain

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: locavore

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Iain,

It was such a topical word at the time, I couldn't resist the temptation: http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/locavore .
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 pm

I see that it began as localvore. Wouldn't that be someone on a fat-free diet? A lo-cal vore? :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Most of the food one can buy at our local farmers' markets are definitely low cal - vegetables and fruit! To me they are rabbit food. I love the pun, though.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:52 am

I spent some time in the Calder Valley of Yorkshire. There is an emphasis on being a locavore there. In many shops the source of their vegetables, fruits and meat are identified by farm. There are great economic advantages to the practice. It cuts the cost of transportation. It could disrupt the USA's dependence on California for its vegetables, fruits, and nuts. (California is the land of fruits and nuts.) They might even grow tomatoes again in New Jersey, once the garden state, if California would get off our backs.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Financially, however, the more semi tropical states can farm more easily and successfully. Thus we got a lot of our stuff from the Rio Grande Valley.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

The irrigation water has to come from somewhere. Our taxes pay for it.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 pm

But Rio Grande means great river. It is only deceiving you when at times it appears to be a small dirty stream.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:08 pm

While not quite a locavore situation, I'd say that LA getting a lot of citrus from TX makes perfect sense. Call it a "closeravore" policy. CA is farther away. :D

By the way, I just found out that the RGV isn't a V, it's a floodplain. I wonder why they called it that. :?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Slava: Very few people know the Rio Grande Valley is not actually a valley. I see that Wikipedia says it is a flood plain. Actually, it is not even a flood plane. As I understand it, it is a natural depression just north of the Rio Grande River near the Gulf Coast. The river is on higher ground than the Valley, so irrigation is easily done by gravity flow. It is a lovely place. When driving toward the valley during early spring, the perfume of the orange and grapefruit trees extends over the scrub brush north of it for several miles. Open your car windows if you drive down at that time and you will be pleasantly surprised. Sadly it is economically the poorest part of Texas.

Valley grapefruit is the best grapefruit in the world. Both California and Florida grow better oranges. Our church owns a large grapefruit and orange grove in the Valley that has been turned into a spiritual retreat and also a winter home for snowbirds. From November to March we send trucks to our Mission Valley Baptist Encampment and bring back truckloads of grapefruit and oranges. We sell them locally to our members and send all the proceeds to the Encampment.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”