FUNERAL

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
tcward
Wordmaster

FUNERAL

Postby tcward » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:20 pm

funeral (n.)
1437, from M.Fr. funérailles (pl.) "funeral rites," from M.L. funeralia "funeral rites," originally neut. pl. of L.L. funeralis "having to do with a funeral," from L. funus (gen. funeris) "funeral, death, corpse," origin unknown, perhaps ult. from PIE base *dheu- "to die." Singular and plural used interchangeably in Eng. until c.1700. The adj. funereal is first attested 1725, by influence of M.Fr. funerail, from L. funereus, from funus.

I have two funerals today at church, one for an elderly lady who led a full, long life, and one for a 46 year old husband and father who was not wearing his seat belt one night this week and ran off the road, leaving his daughter who is just starting college next week and his wife of 20-some years. I'm going to take the next few seconds to implore everyone to wear their safety belts when driving or riding invehicles. He would have been alive today (possibly injured, but definitely alive) had he been wearing his seat belt.

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:25 pm

Here, if you don't use a seatbelt you get a $48.00 ticket,to my mind it's my choice, I'm an adult, if I want to wear it ok, but since I'm at the height they build the seatbelts to kill upon impact I wish I had a choice. Driving while choking, seems to me to be hazardous to others on the road.

I'm sorry for the death of the man killed recently but My jury is still "out" when it comes to the lifesaving properties versus the hazards of wearing seatbelts.

We rented a car in which I was always the passenger, the passenger side seatbelt tightened every time I breathed out or we stopped fast and I 'condensed', it became so tight it actually hurt. Finally, once when the driver was out of the car, I couldn't undo the belt as my left hand was too weak to push the button on the release. Since then I've been a bit panicky in a seatbelt. True story, add to that the time, as a child, I was stuck in a small storm drain- and I'm a Claustrophobic.

Kt

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:30 pm

I wore a seatbelt long before it became a state and later a national law.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:24 pm

I wore a seatbelt long before it became a state and later a national law.

Brazilian dude
Ditto, BD. My father never wore his, even after he left two teethmarks in the top of his steering wheel! :roll:

That's sad, Tim, and so unnecessary.

Being thrown clear and surviving is the very rare exception. Back in college, a guy I knew was in the back seat when the car he was in ran off the road on the New Jersey Turnpike and rolled over. The three in the back seat were unconscious, but hanging upside down in their seatbelts and had to be cut out of them to pull them out, uninjured.

I, too, have had seatbelts that cinch up too tight. Not much you can do except unbuckle and refasten it. Thinking about it just now, you could probably get one of those seat belt clips used to take up slack when securing a child's safety seat and use it to keep the belt from pulling too tight. I used to have one laying around; I'll have to find it and keep it in my daughter's car. Many cars also have an adjustment to set the hight of the shoulder strap. If not, you'll just have to borrow a booster seat from the grandkids, KT. :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:24 pm

I know I'll be sorry for this, but I can't get into a child's booster seat, and if I could my legs wouldn't be long enough to push on the accelator, brake or clutch all the way to the floor. I'll just have to hope that we don't get hit, because the seatbelts are designed to rid the population of those under 5' 2".....I tried the clips, they are desingned to give way on impact, catching a short person's trachea and crushing it.

Kt

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:15 pm

Katy, the problem you take up is a serious one, and not a joking matter. During my internship in surgery many years ago, I had the responsibility of dealing with victims (and perpetrators, but they were also victims) of traffic accidents and it was distressing to see what crashes even at low speeds could do to the faces of people riding shotgun who had been thrown through the windscreen. After that experience, I don't think I've ever failed to buckle up....

You've certainly performed your own investigations and everything I say here is probably supernumerary, but here goes anyway : I understand that there are seat belts with attachments points which can be raised or lowered, thereby providing a better geometry (i e, one that doesn't strangle the wearer) ; there are also, I am told, special roller hip belts for drivers who can't wear the ordinary shoulder belts. One thing you might consider are the three point belts that racing drivers wear - they shouldn't catch you by the throat. Further ideas can perhaps be had from organisations for short people ; I trust that such exist in the US and are available on the web.

I hope I haven't simply made the obvious boring....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Henri, if I may, anyone who uses supernumerary in an ordinary sentence... well, let's just say that one person's "boring" is another's "interesting", and you have little control over that.

-Tim

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:13 am

... well, let's just say that one person's "boring" is another's "interesting", and you have little control over that.
There's no 'counting for taste said the old woman and kissed the cow....
Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”