Stereophonic

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Stereophonic

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am

If I survive another 10 or 20 years, I expect to see television replaced by holograms. Those people actually coming to your living room and do a "theater in the round" right before your eyes. In fact, I expect you could walk around the performance and see it from every angle. Maybe we would get more exercise!

Reminds me of the holodecks in Star Trek. Better than
being a couch potato for sure.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 am

Good one, Perry L. I've made comment to my wife several times that holographic movies are going to be the next step in movie or television viewing. It's only a matter of a (short) period of time. Sort of like the scene in Star Wars when R2D2 plays Princess Leia's warning to Luke Skywalker. It's been a while but I believe I got that right. At the rate technology is progressing exponentially, I should see this happen in my lifetime.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I sincerely hope so as well.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:27 pm

The other side of that story is that holograms may be our current equivalent of personal helicopters. I can remember in high school 50 years ago predicting that we would all have personal helicopters in 10 or 20 years. Hasn't happened. I remember going to Epcot 20 years ago, having look forward to it. I was mostly disappointed because the most advanced technology I saw was a hologram on a ride through some mountain. On my coffee table at home there was a computer Magazine with a similar picture on the cover. So we have had the technology for over 20 years, but it doesn't seem to have broken out yet.
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 pm

^ Like jetpacks and flying cars? :wink:

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Exactly. I want mine now, please.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:26 pm

And then there was– at least for a brief period – Quadraphonic. The four speakers, I believe, probably led to surround sound, as they were generally placed in front of the listener, behind, and to each side.
Back in the 8-track tape days my dad had quite a few quadraphonic tapes, as well as LPs. But no one told us regular stereo players actually damage quad 8-tracks, basically wiping out the extra sound. We learned the hard way. :(
Last edited by misterdoe on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:09 pm

I still have some quad tapes, but no player, alas.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”