Brisance

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Brisance

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 pm

• brisance •

Pronunciation: bri-zahns, bri-zawNsHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1.The violence of an explosion, explosiveness. 2. Volatility, high likelihood of explosion.

Notes: This word is the nominalization ('nounification') of the adjective brisant "shattering, explosive", used mostly in conversations about explosives, for instance, brisant materials or brisant chemicals like nitro-glycerin. Brisance is rarely used but, when it is, it is used in the sense of "volatility" as often as not.

In Play: As mentioned above this term turns up in discussions by scientists about explosives: "When blowing up stumps, a brisance meter comes in handy." However, this is a word with more promise than prominence: "Well, I would say Adam Bahm's main quality isn't brilliance, but brisance: he explodes when he doesn't get his way."

Word History: Today's Good word comes from French (where else?). It is the English nominalization of the French present participle, brisant, of the verb briser "to shatter". There is no clear evidence of the whereabouts of an ancestor of this word. Latin brisa is the refuse of grapes after they have been crushed. So, some etymologists have speculated the existence of a Latin verb brisare "to crush, trample", despite the absence of written evidence of such a word. Others have speculated that it was borrowed from Celtic, specifically Irish brissim "I break". Again no written evidence of such borrowing exists. (Let's all thank Monroe brisantly for proposing today's Good Word in the Alpha Agora.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Brisance

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 am

Reminds me of "frisson," which sorta rhymes:

fris·son (fr-s) KEY

NOUN:
pl. fris·sons (-sz, -s) KEY
A moment of intense excitement; a shudder: The story's ending arouses a frisson of terror.
ETYMOLOGY:
French, from Old French fricons, pl. of fricon, a trembling, from Vulgar Latin *frcti, *frctin-, from Latin frgre, to be cold

I wonder if there might be an underground connection somewhere with fickle F's and B's and all like that there.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Brisance

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Enjoy your new avatar, Doc.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”