Troglodyte

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Troglodyte

Postby misterdoe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

It's one of the sad stories of the entertainment business that someone as talented as Jimmy Castor -- wrote his first hit song at 13, for Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers ("I Promise to Remember"); sang, produced, played saxophone and percussion; performed doo-wop, Latin soul, jazz, funk, and a little bit of rock, earning the nickname "the Everything Man" for his range -- was best known for novelty songs like "Troglodyte" and "King Kong."

If you get the change, go back to Youtube, and look up Jimmy Castor's "Soul Serenade," "Whiter Shade of Pale" (which might be listed as "Blanca Palidez"), or "Love Jones," one of his stock-in-trade story songs. Or "It's Just Begun," one of the most sampled songs of all time for its saxophone intro and its percussion break.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 am

Lest I be labeled a troglodyte myself, rather than a mere octogenarian, I auditioned Jimmy Castor via Youtube for my next hoe-down. "Whiter shade of pale" is real jazz, very good. "Your Mama's Callin' You" has good instrumentalists. I asked to hear "It's Only Just Begun", a song I like very much, but that turned out not to be his song. "It's Only Begun" has a great very short sax intro. The percussion break was too long for a break. I don't think I will engage Jimmy for my next soi·rée. However, I wish him well. Before some of the, “Stick to English discussion,” critics set in, this is my swan song on the troglodyte discussion.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 am

Went even further back in time than misterdoe. Way, WAY back to 1970 :D to when I first heard the word troglodyte. It was in a really lousy B-movie named "Trog" which starred no less than Joan Crawford. Really sad to see her in such a crummy movie after such a great career. She must have been desperate for work. At any rate, I've never forgotten the word troglodyte because of that movie.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”