flagrant vs blatant

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
drsved
Junior Lexiterian

flagrant vs blatant

Postby drsved » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Neither of these have been past Good Words. Long discussion last night, with no answers, about when to use one or the other. Some sense that Flagrant involved more drama, but is this true?
Margie Sved

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: flagrant vs blatant

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

In some sports there are flagrant fouls which are penalized heavier then "ordinary" fouls. Flagrant may be either from intentional fouling, or something like an elbow to the face in basketball or "spearing" helmet to helmet in American football.

Blatant conveys to me more of something done that is uncouth out in public. In other words, flagrant is more of an action word to me then is blatant. Both carry the sense of going way out of bounds, but flagrant is associated with penalties, whereas blatant is merely outrageous, not necessarily good or bad. A possible example: Ronald Ragan blatantly said tear down that wall. It wasn't however flagrant.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 pm

I agree with PL here, flagrant feels stronger than blatant. More intentional, perhaps.

Now, having looked in my dictionary, I'm at a loss. They aren't related at all. Where I would put blatant, I should be using flagrant.

Blatant is more about noise and vociferousness, whereas flagrant is a more burning issue.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm

I almost included something about noise or speech in relation to blatant.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”