phytoillumination

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

phytoillumination

Postby eberntson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Phytoillumination

The growing of plants by means of artificial light. One of the most important horticultural achievements of the 20th century. The idea has been around for a long time, and Liberty Hyde Bailey used arc lamps in 1893 to test plants exposure to ultraviolet light.

First real word that Lookup.com returned no results for, and Alpha Algora search returns the message that is is far to common for it to return any results. Perhaps it is a magic word like abracadabra.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: phytoillumination

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Wherever did you dig this one up? I can't find a reference to it anywhere. Not on Wahoo. Not on Gargle. Not in Wiki-stupeedia.

Dictionary.com suggests fulmination instead.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:02 pm

It in the book "The Complete Book of Gardening Under Lights" by Elvin McDonald. Jean Shalit of the Today Show recommends the book as "A MUST!". McDonald is the co-founder of the American Gloxinia Society. It's in the first paragraph of the book, and reference several time in the chapters, so it isn't a misspelling.

The word derives in part from Phytochrome which are pigments found in plants.

Elvin was editor of the Gloxinia magazine starting in 1951, and growing plants under artificial light was radical at that time, and still fringe in the 1960. BTW Gloxina are the family of African-violets which people in the 50s & 60s were crazy about.

I'm so please I found a rare, or perhaps missed and extinct word. I like it!

Reference "The Complete Book of Gardening Under Lights" by Elvin McDonald; paperback, Popular Library Edition, January 1977; Copyright 1965 by Elvin McDonald; Library of Congress Catalog Card #: 64-19238; Published by Doubleday & Co., Inc.; ISBN 0-445-03014-3
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm

You may have discovered it in the act of coinage! Would you pronounce the Y as in Phil or as an Philo?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Eric, I believe you mean Gene, not Jean. :wink:

Growing under artificial light may become quite important in Washington and Colorado soon, though.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 pm

So I spoke with a friend who has his first doctorate in botany, and asked him what "phytoillumination" meant. He raddled off that it meant plants and things that give off their own light, similar to "bio-luminescence". I know of the jack-o-lantern mushroom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalotus_oleariushere in the northeast that glows at night, very poisonous.

A quick search has not revealed any natural bio-luminescence in plants. Biotech has been inserting firefly genes into mustard plants to make them glow for an hour after being touched.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:12 pm

On a serious note: I don't know the word phytoillumination and it is too long to pronounce. The growing of plants under lights, in a planting medium other than soil, and under strict temperature control is the coming thing. I have no interest in the product from Colorado. The Netherlands is the biggest European exporter of tomatoes. They have them year round and I am told they are plump, juicy, and flavorful. If you are in Europe, try some and give us your reaction.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Probably not fulmination, but maybe phosphorescent in relation to animals, such as certain sea weeds and deep sub-surface fish. Doesn't fulmination refer to politicians on the stump?
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”