Some thing WICKED this way comes!

A discussion of word histories and origins.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:14 pm

Oh, yeah, and いらっしゃい, by the way.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

mbx_pdx
Junior Lexiterian
Location: Southern PA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

Postby mbx_pdx » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:52 pm

Thanks for your sentiments!
"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself."
-Carl Sagan

First they ignore you...
Then they laugh at you...
Then they fight you...
Then you win!
-Gandhi

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:01 pm

Yes, very regular! Although not necessarily regular posters...

My computer at home bought the farm, so I am still working on that problem... Makes for less than frequent postings!

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:30 am

Right arm!

Oops; I mean, Right on!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:32 am

Yes, very regular! Although not necessarily regular posters...

My computer at home bought the farm, so I am still working on that problem... Makes for less than frequent postings!

-Tim
So, your computer paid off your mortgage?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:17 am

My computer at home bought the farm, so I am still working on that problem...
I can't remember ever hearing this phrase before, but its meaning was immediately obvious to me, which fact would seem to supports the conclusions regarding the etymology of the word found here....

Henri

PS : I hope, Tim, you've got it (the computer, not the farm !) up and running again !...
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:40 am

The Online Etymology Dictionary has a similar origin under farm.

World Wide Words dates it from the 1950s, as Air Force slang for a fatal crash, with possible links " . . . to several older British slang sayings, like buy it or buy one (usually in the form “He’s bought one!”). . . . "

The Word Detective has the same derivations, with this addition:
This usage almost certainly also reflected an earlier sardonic slang use of "buy" to mean "to be at fault for damaging," as a driver who crashed his car into a telephone pole might be said to have "bought a telephone pole."
Take Our Word For It's take on it:
I am interested in the origin of the phrase buy the farm. There are derivative euphemisms for sudden death but I can only guess at where the original expression came from. I'll watch your web site.

The explanation which I feel is most likely regarding the origin of bought/buy the farm (which originally meant 'killed/to be killed in action') is this: Young soldiers in the war (World War II) often asked one another what they planned to do when they returned home after the war. A common reply from those hailing from rural regions was that, upon returning home, a soldier would marry his girlfriend, buy a farm in his hometown, and raise children. Upon hearing of the death in action of a fellow soldier, a man would say with sad sarcasm, "He's bought his farm."
That same site also addresses Bite the Dust and Kick the Bucket.
Regards//Larry

badandy
Junior Lexiterian

Postby badandy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:24 pm

'bite the dust' is Homeric according to the back cover of a translation of the Iliad that I have. Unfortunately I dont have a citation.
Habentne Gallinae Talones Acerbos?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 pm

Interesting that eating [someone's] dust merely results in social one-down-manship, while biting the dust is instantly fatal. (Perhaps the metaphorical person didn't chew properly and choked?)
-gailr

badandy
Junior Lexiterian

Postby badandy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:47 am

(Perhaps the metaphorical person didn't chew properly and choked?)
Or perhaps if you're face down in it and bleeding already, there isn't much of a choice!
Habentne Gallinae Talones Acerbos?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Biting dust is not the cause but rather a side-effect of the act of dying. :)
Regards//Larry

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:22 pm

Biting dust is not the cause but rather a side-effect of the act of dying. :)
memo to self: for best odds of resuscitation, avoid biting the dust; try to fall supine.

gailr

Link to CPR info not posted entirely in jest; it's useful for all to know something about this, to help 'respiration-challenged persons' avoid returning to dust before absolutely necessary.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:51 am

Did you know that CPr preformed without a current CPR card after a 'course' given by a Fire Department can be punishable by law? In many states here, you can get instruction in most fire stations, call your local one to find out.

Kt

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:22 am

Did you know that CPr preformed without a current CPR card after a 'course' given by a Fire Department can be punishable by law?
Sad but true...

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:39 am

Is that true, or is it the converse, that under "Good Samaritan" laws you cannot be held accountable for reasonable efforts make to help someone?

Which reminds me, I need to go back online and recert my defibrillator certificate . . .
Regards//Larry

Return to “Etymology”