junto

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

junto

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:36 pm

More from the tale of Mr. Van Winkle . . .
junto

SYLLABICATION: jun·to
PRONUNCIATION: jŭn'
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. jun·tos
A small, usually secret group united for a common interest.
ETYMOLOGY: Alteration of junta.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
As used by Washington Irving to describe the ". . . kind of perpetual club of the sages, philosophers, and other idle personages of the village, which held its sessions on a bench before a small inn . . .:"
The opinions of this junto were completely controlled by Nicholas Vedder, a patriarch of the village and landlord of the inn, at the door of which he took his seat from morning till night, just moving sufficiently to avoid the sun, and keep in the shade of a large tree; so that the neighbors could tell the hour by his movements as accurately as by a sundial.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:12 am

Hahaha, junto, how funny. To us Spanish/Portuguese speakers, that only means together (or sometimes close by).

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:21 pm

I posted junto because it was the first time I ever saw the word; usually in English we see the word junta, which has a slightly different connotation in English. It was easy to make out the similarity between the two based on the context, but the age of the story, written in the early 1800s, made that word stand out for me.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: junto

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:54 am

Recently used by Gail Collins in the NYT. I at first assumed it was an old spelling, but soon learned the error of my ways. I came to suggest it, and it was already here.

As neither this nor junta has been to the Dr.'s office, perhaps they'd make a decent two-fer?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”