anhedonia

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

anhedonia

Postby Stargzer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:58 pm

I believe I may have discovered a word that is the converse of schadenfreude, or at least one describing someone who cannot partake of it.
anhedonia

SYLLABICATION: an·he·do·ni·a
PRONUNCIATION: ăn'hē-dō'nē-ə
NOUN: The absence of pleasure or the ability to experience it.
ETYMOLOGY: New Latin anhēdonia : Greek an-, without; see [urlV]a–[su]1[/sup][/url] (Oops. Make that a–[sup]1[/sup]) + Greek hēdonē, pleasure; see swād- in Appendix I.
OTHER FORMS: an'he·don'ic (-dŏ'nĭk) —ADJECTIVE

[The character ə is the elusive schwa]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
In this article from the December 12, 2000, issue of the Canadian Medical Association Journal, whence came the inspiration for this submission, one of the subjects in the study is diagnosed with anhe(haw)donia. :wink:
Last edited by Stargzer on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:43 pm

I must be suffering from anhe(haw)donia myself, Larry - this time 'round I didn't get as much of a kick out of «[urlV]a–[su]1[/sup][/url]» as is my wont. Another couple of point down on the MÅDRAS or HAM-D scales and I'll have to consider gulping down those SSNRI's at half a million a pop....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:17 am

I must be suffering from anhe(haw)donia myself, Larry - this time 'round I didn't get as much of a kick out of «[urlV]a–[su]1[/sup][/url]» as is my wont. Another couple of point down on the MÅDRAS or HAM-D scales and I'll have to consider gulping down those SSNRI's at half a million a pop....

Henri
As the old DuPont advertisement said, "Better things for better living through Chemistry." :wink:

But half a million what a pop? In Japanese yen that would be US$4,400 a pop; even in the old Italia lira that's US$ 311.76 each; where do you get your drugs from? :shock:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:53 pm

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times : don't exaggerate !...
Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”