tergiversate

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:21 pm

So now I am a girl BD? Luis (or Luiz in Portuguese) == uncronopio. The good doctor just sent me a personal message through the wrong channel.

I know a couple of people spending a lot of time researching the populations of devils and there is no evidence of effect of any chemicals on them (by the way, more chemicals are used in the US than in Tasmania). In fact the first devils detected with the disease were inside national parks, where there is no application of herbicides and pesticides. It also appears to be that this is not the first time that devils face almost catastrophic events. Older people remember that in the 1940s the population of devils was much smaller than today, for example. There is evidence also of older population size cycles, with similar symptoms. I would say that Sandra Blakeslee's piece tends to tergiversate the story.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:07 pm

Gee, Luis, I heard on the (totally reliable,oc)Discovery channel, oh lo' these many years back(20?), that it was the Koalas were in huge danger, they were all dying out of Syphillis.

Katy
Perhaps you can disabuse me of this spurious claim as well?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:46 am

Luis (or Luiz in Portuguese)
Not exactly, there are some people who spell their name Luiz (registrars don't know how to spell?), but orthography dictates an s there, not a z.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:12 am

Well, Katy, you will no doubt be glad to hear that I do have a bellybutton, so I guess I qualify as a placental mammal rather than a marsupial ! But I agree that emergent diseases are a problem, both among man and beast (to the degree these two concepts are not synonymous). The population cycles among Tasmanian devils described by Luis constitute, of course, an aspect of the problem which should not be neglected, but I can't help wondering if those observations during the 40s also record that type of tumour disease which seems to be striking the animals today. If not, perhaps something important is, indeed, happening. That the population of devils increased over the past 60 years is, to my mind, hardly surprising, as it corresponds with an increasing urbanisation in Tasmania which should have provided ample opportunity for a scavanger like the devil. Cf the increase in deer populations in surburban areas, due both to decreased predator pressure and the opportunities offered by gardens. But perhaps Luis has more evidence ?...

As regards Ms Blakeslee's article, further investigation may possibly show that the situation described therein does not, in fact, represent a crisis for the animals, but rather is a part of a natural, cyclical process. But still, I don't think it fair to accuse her of tergiversation. I find no evidence for intent to deceive or manipulate on her part - although it may well be the case that this failure is merely a reflection of my incorrigible naïveté....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Marlene
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Marlene » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:27 am

Origins of HIV is the Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV) that affects monkeys.
Origin of Avian flu is Birds. Direct contact with infected poultry, or surfaces and objects contaminated by their droppings, is considered the main route of human infection.
Next in line....just line up other animals..cats, dogs.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:48 am

My oldest aunt is called Marlene (mahr-LEH-nee).

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:41 pm

It is a truly ugly disease, poor devils.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:10 pm

Well, Katy, you will no doubt be glad to hear that I do have a bellybutton, so I guess I qualify as a placental mammal rather than a marsupial ! Henri
I missed this before, but I must tell you Henri I've never speculated regarding your parentage, nor your species....

Kt
(well maybe once! LOL)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Liberalis europaboreotis or somthing similar I would guess. . . :lol: . . . as opposed to mine, which is Caputstercorosus americanus. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:02 pm

And the amazing thing is, Larry, that despite the vast differences obtaining in the respective genotypes, they can interbreed and are even said to produce fertile offspring !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:26 pm

Fertile offspring indeed, but are they not also sometimes monstrous? And if not themselves, then their albatross of a Greco/Latin designation is certain to be.
-gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”