CRUDIVORE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CRUDIVORE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:10 am

• crudivore •

Pronunciation: kru-dê-vor • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: You have to watch the pronunciation of this word to avoid implying that someone is an eater of crud. That is not what a crudivore is: a crudivore is someone who eats only raw food.

Notes: Crudivorism is a term for a dietary fad that has been spreading around the world and the Web. It refers to the belief that humans were healthier and lived longer before the development of culture and civilization, when food was eaten raw. Some modern crudivores are also vegetarians (herbivores) but many are carnivorous. Following the pattern of similar words, if the belief is crudivorism, a person practicing it is a crudivore.

In Play: Although today's word is just creeping into the English language and even though it refers to a fringe eating fad, wider applications can be imagined: "Most species are crudivores, so what is the word for someone who eats cooked food?" Once we have made this leap of faith, metaphorical applications pop up all around us: "Barnaby eats his meat so rare we think of him as a borderline crudivore."

Word History: Today's very new word was concocted from Latin crudus "raw, unripe, undigested" + -vorus, from vorare, "to gobble up, devour". Believe it or not, Latin crudus and English raw started out as the same word, Proto-Indo-European *kreu- "raw flesh". The initial [k], quite regularly, became Latin C and English H, giving us Old English hreaw "raw", which lost a few letters on the trip to us. Latin added a suffix, -d, and its own endings and—crudus. Of course, we recognize vorus in English voracious. (Today's Good Word is a present from the Brazilian Dude, Luciano Eduardo de Oliveira, who found it originally in Portuguese.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:06 am

Salad, yes! Sushi, no!
Almonds, yes! Cashews, no!
Fruit, yes! Steak Tartar, no!

Of course, fruits and vegetables are most nutritious, when eaten raw, full of enzymes and vitamins, but in our modern world of chemicals and prolonged storage, plants stuffs should be washed and slightly cooked to ensure the absence of pesticides, herbicides, molds, and bacteria which can accumulate on their surfaces and are often harmful.

Some things, like cashews, are not edible without cooking!

Meat should be cooked until it is almost unrecognizable as meat, otherwise it is sickeningly gross. No blood or blood products, thank you!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:40 pm

Salad, yes! Sushi, no!
Tuna and salmon on rice with wasabi! Yum!
Almonds, yes! Cashews, no!
Fruit, yes! Steak Tartar, no!

. . .

Meat should be cooked until it is almost unrecognizable as meat, otherwise it is sickeningly gross. No blood or blood products, thank you!

Apo
Just send the cow on down the aisle and I'll rip off a chunck as she goes by. 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:45 pm

"Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point."

"A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good," it said. "I'll just nip off and shoot myself." He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. "Don't worry, sir," he said, "I'll be very humane."
-gailr

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:53 pm

Sounds like The Hitchhikers' Guide to Galaxy has a lot of fan in the Agora.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:10 pm

I suspect that the discovery of how to control fire and its use in cooking, thus enhancing the edibility of substances otherwise difficult to digest, are probably not unrelated to the evolutionary increase in brain size in hominids....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:01 pm

Interesting statement, Henri. It prompted me to google for "brain size + vegetarian" and "brain size + meat eater".

And yet...

When I compare the non-scientific, invalidly small-sample, purely anecdotal evidence of observing classmates who ingested animal protein frquently to keep their football scholarships and the spindly, nerdly ones with the tofu and the pocket protectors... well, all I can conclude is that size isn't everything...

gailr

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:41 am

well, all I can conclude is that size isn't everything...
Brain size ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”