IPA, please!

What would you like to see on our site?

Would you use IPA transcription and characters on this site?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 13

Garzo
Lexiterian

IPA, please!

Postby Garzo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:25 am

Is this just my silly head, or does this site not support IPA? We could have one of those BBCode thingies to tag IPA with an HTML span tag that would force silly browsers (well, Internet Explorer) to display IPA in a suitable font (even horrible Arial Unicode MS).

As this is a language site, IPA seems to good to overlook. The word of the day thing can then use a pronunciation guide that makes some sense, and we can write clearly about phonetics.

Is this anywhere near possible?
"Poetry is that which gets lost in translation" — Robert Frost

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:37 am

Hear hear. Then again, is it asking too much if I say I want suprasegmental features too?

Flam

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Faced with a binary decision, I had to vote Yes instead of Probably. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm a fontomaniac. The more, the better, especially for far away languages. I had to reduce the number of registered fonts in this computer to 1100 plus, because some programs I use couldn't cope with the previous number. (I still keep those I weeded out, thousands perhaps, but in a separate folder.)

Not only would I appreciate a cople of IPA fonts, but I would be very happy to find details on what's avaliable now, and for example how to enter a š without having to create a separate document from which to copy the letter, and still not knowing if this SW will accept it.

Of course not complaining, though; I'm ever so happy with the possibility to use Chinese and Arabic.
Irren ist männlich

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:45 pm

A test:
thing, θɪŋ
-Tim

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:51 pm

The default font appears to support the IPA Extensions.

Andrew, I have 'Always allow HTML' marked YES in my profile, and yet when I am in the Post a Reply form, under the Options list to the lower left, HTML is OFF...

With HTML enabled, we would be able to post IPA characters to our hearts' content (with a little effort) by creating the HTML document in Word and posting the source.

Or... We could have a pop-up window with an IPA character map, where we double-clicked the character that we wanted to insert, one after the other, and then closed the pop-up when we were done. :)

-Tim
Hey, I can dream, can't I...

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:55 pm

Here's a very good website called IPA transcription systems for English, although at cursory glance it appears to indicate the proper character codes for the vast majority of IPA sounds.

-Tim

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:17 pm

Is there any book that is able to teach you to read the IPA symbols adequately?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:55 pm

To paraphrase another thread, where have all the Garzos gone?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Suggestions”