Portuguese speaking whippersnapper

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Portuguese speaking whippersnapper

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:04 pm

Take a look at this Portuguese speaking whippersnapper (em português, claro). He watches TV, takes note of all the Portuguese grammar mistakes he hears and writes TV people letters to show them they have been at fault.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Ladyquill
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ladyquill » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:20 pm

How adorable! I bet Lula keeps him busy. :wink: LQ
I absolutely LOVE languages--- and people and cultures--- but I'm actually here because now, after some time hearing, speaking, and reading other languages, my English is suffering!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Hahahahaha. Good thing there are people who write books about George Bush's gems.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:28 pm

Which reminds me of the joint meeting they held a couple of weeks ago. If you had taken both's brain, you wouldn't have gotten half of one.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Ladyquill
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ladyquill » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:38 pm

Hehehe, I can spend a good hour in the bookstore laughing at those "gems". It's so embarrassing! But hey, without mistakes, we can't learn from them...I guess maybe we'd just like someone a little lower on the totem pole to make the gigantic blunders, though.
I absolutely LOVE languages--- and people and cultures--- but I'm actually here because now, after some time hearing, speaking, and reading other languages, my English is suffering!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:41 pm

I see he's from your neck of the woods. Is that a condition that Texans are wont to have?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Ladyquill
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ladyquill » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:57 pm

HAHAHA...well. I certainly HOPE NOT! But then again...mabe that thar splains aluv my problems!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Which reminds me of the joint meeting they held a couple of weeks ago. If you had taken both's brain, you wouldn't have gotten half of one.

Brazilian dude
One of my favorite cartoon strips was one called Tumbleweeds, about Cowboys, Indians, and the Cavalry in the West. In one panel, the Chief and the Colonel are seen going into a teepee. One Indians asks, "How's the battle of wits going?" The other answers, "Our half is winning."

I steal that line every time I need it!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

frank
Lexiterian

Re: Portuguese speaking whippersnapper

Postby frank » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:37 am

Take a look at this Portuguese speaking whippersnapper (em português, claro). He watches TV, takes note of all the Portuguese grammar mistakes he hears and writes TV people letters to show them they have been at fault.
I like this kind of articles very much! So thanks for forwarding it!! It'll become part of my (modest) collection of similar texts.

What particularly interests me in this kind of texts is the rather limited view of both the journalist and the main character, and how this kind of articles spread on a rather wide scale keep a bunch of prejudices alive, both about language and about linguists/linguistics.
Maybe somebody should tell the journalist that linguistics is not about prescriptive grammar booklets, and tell the "linguista autodidacta" that the grammar of spoken language differs from written language, as anybody who speaks and writes on a regular basis has experienced by his/herself :-).

Groetjes,

Frank

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:30 am

as anybody who speaks and writes on a regular basis has experienced by his/herself
Hisself? :wink:

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:32 pm

as anybody who speaks and writes on a regular basis has experienced by his/herself
Hisself? :wink:
QED. That's how it's said, no?

[Nah, it really was a typo :? ]

Frank

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:08 pm

People using the vernacular around here say "hisself" all the time.

-Tim

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:34 pm

Interesting...
Anyone who stops to think about it will notice that our standard reflexive pronouns are not very consistently formed. Some are formed on the genitive case of the pronoun: myself, ourselves, yourself, yourselves. Herself might be considered as genitive as might itself if we allowed for merging of the two s's. But then we have himself and themselves, patently formed on the objective case, and we have to admit that the third person reflexives are just different. Bishop Lowth back in 1762 was aware of the anomaly and opposed himself and themselves as corruuptions. He plumped for his self and their selves instead, citing the first from Sir Philip Sidney and the second from some statues of Henry VI.

But usage paid no attention to the Bishop's plea for a more rational and consistent set of pronouns. Hisself and theirselves still exist, but they are considered nonstandard. You will find them, and theirself, in dialectal speech, in fiction as part of the speech of rustic characters, and occasionally used for humorous effect.

They run off as though Satan hisself was a'ter them with a red-hot ten-pronged pitchfork - Artemus Ward, "Interview with President Lincoln," 1861, in The Mirth of a Nation, ed. Walter Blair & Raven I. McDavid, Jr., 1983

I wouldn't want nobody to have to strain hisself - Flannery O'Connor, letter, 28 Feb. 1960
From Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage
Languages rule!

Return to “Languages of the World”