Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:54 pm

• tenement •

Pronunciation: te-nê-mênt

Part of Speech: Noun

Meanings: 1. A multifamily housing unit with tenants, an apartment building. 2. A rundown apartment building run by a slum landlord. 3. (British) A room or apartment rented out.

Notes: Today's word comes from Late Latin and thus had little chance to produce a family. If you look long and far enough, you will find a rarely used adjective, tenemental, which suggests an adverb, tenementally, and a noun, tenementality, but I know of no one brave enough to use either in mixed or unmixed company. (I guess that leaves it up to me; see the next section.)

In Play: In the US, today's good word is often used in the plural to refer to an impoverished but intricate style of life: "Amanda Lynn lifted herself out of the tenements playing a stringed instrument." Now let's see what we can do with the implied derivations mentioned in the Notes: "Living in the tenements, Amanda had developed a tenementality about working together closely with other people." You might say that she left New York for tenemental reasons. Oh, stop groaning.

Word History: Tenement entered Middle English meaning simply "house", as did the original Medieval Latin tenementum. This word is based on tenere "to hold", whose root derives from a PIE root that is ubiquitous throughout Indo-European languages: *ten- "to stretch". As, of course, you know, PIE [t] converted to [th] in Germanic languages like English, so it came to us as thin, the way things get when stretched. In Latin the [t] didn't change, so "thin" in Latin is tenuis, the source of our tenuous. (Our gratitude for sharing this word goes out today to Walter Hershman, who, we can say without stretching the truth thin, holds a healthy interest in the history of New York City.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby tcward » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:14 pm

Of course, as a music major, the first ten- word I thought of was tenor. (Wagner fans probably associate this more specifically with the heldentenor.) Another musical word derived from PIE ten- is tone. But I was surprised to see that sitar (from Persian tar, string) and tantra (from Sanskrit tantrum, loom) are also related.

If I was a doctor, on the other hand, I might first think of tendon. You might be surprised to see that tetanus and catatonic are also derived from this PIE root.

For the complete list, click here.

Senior Lexiterian

Return to Good Word Discussion