Credo

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Yes, poetic license, as Katy commented above; but ihas someone written a grammar of poetic license please? Even in poetry there are things you can do and things you can't. All right, I don't mean that; but things which, if you do them, no one will understand or like.
That's Why it's called poetry. Hee hee hee.

Kt

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:41 pm

What about Dada? Or has that poetic license expired? Or was it just a Fake for the talentless?

I hate Dada!

Anti-pro-anti-artist, and pre-post-modern-non-enthusiast!

Apo, still living in my Romantic Period.
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:59 pm

I'm wit ya Apo. I totally agree! I'm really not into pomes, most of which today are teenage girl gives angst a rhyme, its all so:
ta-da-da-da-da-da-da
ta-da-da-da-da-da-da
ta-da-da-da-da-da-da
ta-da-da-da-da-da-da
and the rhymes,please, my dog could do better, make those pomes as obtuse as possible, thank you, but I will probably not read them anyway.

Kt
btw in the era of 1916–1923 when the Dada movement (sorta gives movement a bad name, lol) had it's heyday people were a bit dada, anyway. but the nihilism does coorelate somewhat to the chaos stuff some folks are into now.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:08 pm

道可道非常道

Somehow, Laozi always reminds me of Wittgenstein :
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
even though I imagine them as diametrically opposed personalities....

Henri

PS : Katy, do your best, at least, to swim to the top !...
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:49 pm

wood floats!

Kt

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:56 am

I think in a way you are correct, Henri, (may a god not curse me for saying so) but there is a metaphysic and a meta-logic to Tao ( the real Tao, not the so-called Tao) that looks very much like a denial of duality: something is true and not true at the same time. It is very much like the distinction between freewill and predestination. If there is an omnipotent God, both must be true, but if one is true, how can the other be true?

Or, from an evolutionary theoretician's point of view, how can we have freewill, when we are just an accumulation of chemical reactions? Would not the distinction between morality and immorality, between freewill and socio-biological determinism become just like the sort of metaphysical questions that the (auto-)positivists found irrelevant and nonsensical, but for the vast majority of humanity (even Lao Tzu) are utterly essential even if the answers are only able to be alluded to.

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:24 pm

Apo, I must confess that I find the concept of «free will» difficult, but that is not because we may in some sense be said to be an accumulation of - or a vehicle for - chemical reactions - I think the concept of «emerging qualities» resolves that particular problem. It is rather the concepts of causality and randomness that - to my limited understanding - make free will a philosophical can of worms - if event B necessarily follows upon event A, how can free will exist ? How can one choose non-B ? But if the relationship between A and B is purely random, what sense then does the concept of free will make ? What choice (as I understand it, an (the) essential element of free will) does one have as to the consequences of ones actions ? Usually when I come this far in my thinking, I just give the whole thing up - a result of predestination ? randomness ? or free will ? You tell me....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:46 pm

I asked a theology professor at which point of consciousness and/or cognitive development does free will kick in, and at which point of mental illness and/or degeneration does it cease to apply. He was nonplussed and provided a nonanswer.

-gailr

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:40 pm

I asked a theology professor at which point of consciousness and/or cognitive development does free will kick in, and at which point of mental illness and/or degeneration does it cease to apply. He was nonplussed and provided a nonanswer.

-gailr
Ok, why would you think he'd know? It probably varies anyway. :lol:

Kt

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:06 pm

Ok, why would you think he'd know? It probably varies anyway. :lol:

Kt
Because he was expounding with such great authority on free will, obedience, and sin. He seemed to have all the answers, so I asked for one...

-gailr

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:09 pm

Because he was expounding with such great authority on free will, obedience, and sin. He seemed to have all the answers, so I asked for one...

-gailr
you hadn't mentioned that. I had great experiences with my theology profs, no bully pulpet there, for me.

kt

Return to “Res Diversae”