Southron

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Southron

Postby Grogie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:15 pm

This is a name for an inhabitant of the southern part of a country. Formerly, it was a name given to Englishmen by Scotsmen.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:38 pm

Quick definitions (Southron)

(n.) An inhabitant of the more southern part of a country; formerly, a name given in Scotland to any Englishman.
Of course, we can't print the name given to Englishmen by Irishmen in this family-oriented forum . . . :shock:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:05 pm

Of course, we can't print the name given to Englishmen by Irishmen in this family-oriented forum . . . :shock:
Is there an equally non-family word given to the Irish by the English or are they too reserved, polite for that?

Kt

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:43 pm

Is there an equally non-family word given to the Irish by the English or are they too reserved, polite for that?

Kt
Probably. I'm sure the Scots have other words for Englishmen. I'm told that the flower called a Sweet William was named after Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, who put down the Jacobite Rising of 1745 - 1746, which is why it's called a Stinking Billy by the Scots. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:59 pm

I have dianthus in my garden. I like it.

Kt

PaxFelix
Junior Lexiterian

Postby PaxFelix » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:54 am

Tolkein used the word on one of his maps. I never realized it was in play in English -- thought it was from one of his mythical vocabularies.
Be well,
PaxFelix

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”