cheapskate

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:14 pm

Thanks, APO, that really clarifies things. no cheapstakes, those conservatives, since the subject was broached and ties nicely with the subject at hand which is not at all the reason I chose liberal (small L: note) as a disliked word, I just find it overused and used for the wrong reason. Often as an epethet.. which is silly.

Kt
It was nice tho' that everyone got their digs in, LOL

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:10 pm

No, I wasn't talking politics either...

I do think that it is most ironic that "liberals" comprise, by far, the largest percentage of conservationists, whereas "conservatives", by far, seem to agree that nature merely provides what we want to consume. Which one is wasteful? Which one is selfish? It's all a matter of perspective, if you ask me.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:20 pm

A classic application of the word liberal is in the academic liberal arts.
The term liberal in liberal arts is from the Latin word liberalis, meaning "appropriate for free men" (social and political elites), and they were contrasted with the servile arts. The liberal arts thus initially represented the kinds of skills and general knowledge needed by the elite echelon of society, whereas the servile arts represented specialized tradesman skills and knowledge needed by persons who were employed by the elite.

Today, the liberal arts are often promoted as "liberal" in a later Enlightenment sense, as liberating of the mind, removing prejudices and unjustified assumptions. In spite of the earlier medieval meaning, this is regarded by many today as the more relevant sense of the broader term liberal education.
-gailr

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:06 pm

Tim:
I do think that it is most ironic that "liberals" comprise, by far, the largest percentage of conservationists, whereas "conservatives", by far, seem to agree that nature merely provides what we want to consume.
And most evangelical Christians, a pivotal conservative group for Bush in the last election, say they favor strict rules to protect the environment even if they cost jobs or result in higher prices, according to the 2004 National Survey of Religion and Politics.

"Evangelicals are more sympathetic to the environmental movement than people think," said Rich Cizik, vice president for governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals. "The stereotype of evangelicals is that we're all sitting at home reading Left Behind or out pillaging and plundering the environment. That's just not the case."

The evangelical association's manual on public policy says, "We are not the owners of creation, but its stewards, summoned by God 'to watch over and care for it.' This implies the principle of sustainability; our uses of the Earth must be designed to conserve and renew the Earth rather than to deplete or destroy it."

Hunters and fishermen, typically conservative in politics, can be a powerful pro-environment force. In 2003, sportsmen's groups succeeded where traditional environmental groups had failed in lobbying the Bush administration to scrap plans to reduce protections for isolated wetlands - critical habitat for fish and wildlife and essential to waterfowl and duck hunting.
Conservative voters who typically oppose increased government spending or tax increases often support spending for land preservation because it "delivers tangible results, close to home," said Ernest Cook, senior vice president and director of conservation finance for the Trust for Public Land.

He noted that 97 of the nation's 100 fastest-growing counties voted for Bush last November but that many of those same counties recognize "a great need to set aside land for conservation purposes."
Environment is uniting left and right
By Paul Nussbaum

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:20 am

Again I was just talking about the word liberal, as in the directions to sprinkle flour liberally over the board, and it gets all over; the board, the counter, the floor. What a waste!
Liberal doesn't mean to waste just be generous. Altho' rampant generosity can be wasteful, as we all know.

and you were so talking about politics, so let's just not. ok? I also did say it's wrong to use the word liberal as an Epithet, don't make me sorry I said that,
Muahahahahahahahahahahah

Gailr you really are a scream girl! Oh and I too never tore the wings off a puppy, but once when I was 6 or so I 'kept' a toad that died and I still feel bad about it.

[now does thie followingbelong in the profanity thread or the cheapskate thread]

I had a new roof put on my house this summer, no not the old roof re-done a new one placed above the old one so there is space between the old roof and the new one, and a family of very noisy racoons moved in,

[aside]now just a small word about racoons, first if they kindle(give birth) somewhere they believe that area belongs to them. My neighbor across the street had this huge mama racoon living in his attac for a winter. I saw the window was broken in the all-but-abandoned home and warned the caretaker. He finally put in a metal vent, and we watched as the big racoon ripped the vent apart getting out. I researched racoons and found out that they and oppossums will aggressivly try to re-enter their territory. I told the caretaker but he ignored me, hence the vent distroyed, so he put a new vent on and captured the racoon, allowing it go get loose way too close to his house, and it kept breaking in. Racoons go nutty in a house, they completely distroy it just before they give everyone rabies, leprosy and the plague[/aside]

This is my dilemna, I can hear them trying to dig a hole in the 'lower' roof. This is scary to me, I do not want to share my home with those insane creatures. Of course the easiest thing is to poison them. and they are a long way from endangered. I tried putting a rag soaked in ammonia in that area, they just laughed at me and tossed it back.
Since I'm a conservative I'll probably just get out my shotgun and blow them and the roofs(would that be rooves?) away. (LOL) oh and don't forget I'm waay too selfish to share my home with them, Mayhaps I'll catch them and send them to Charlotte for Tim to enjoy.

Kt

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:21 am

Long, long, long ago I read an article by a columnist who lived in Connecticut, I think it was, about raccoons raiding his trash cans. He talked about all the trouble he went through to no avail, finally building a concrete container. The last lines of the article described raccoons running around in hard hats. In the last line, the author asked, "Does anyone know what 'Fire in the hole!' means?" :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:00 am

I do think that it is most ironic that "liberals" comprise, by far, the largest percentage of conservationists, whereas "conservatives", by far, seem to agree that nature merely provides what we want to consume.
"Evangelicals are more sympathetic to the environmental movement than people think," said Rich Cizik...
Conservative voters who typically oppose increased government spending or tax increases often support spending for land preservation because it "delivers tangible results, close to home," said Ernest Cook, senior vice president and director of conservation finance for the Trust for Public Land.
Apo, of course one's religious beliefs will come into play. I'm sure Christian liberals (look, it isn't impossible!) feel the same way about protecting the environment.

And I always take it with a grain of salt when a spokesperson for a company says that everybody believes his or her company should be endorsed. That's their bread and butter on the line.

Katy, you say you weren't talking about politics (which you keep referring to as 'big L' Liberal) but your post immediately after mine begs to differ:
It wasn't the concept of politics I was referring to but the concept of throwing money at a problem and not concidering how it's being used, sometimes (often) it is making more problems, when careful thought might say it's better to teach a man to fish.....
Your post about flour does clarify things for me, though. But I think in recipe directions, etc., liberally in that context simply means freely -- in other words, in those cases, your results probably would be better should you use too much rather than not enough, and worrying about how much you are using would probably result in not enough.

I think the bottom line is that "cheapskate" is a term that can be applied no matter what one's political affiliation is.

-Tim

Tims Wife
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Tims Wife » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:13 am

Since I'm a conservative I'll probably just get out my shotgun and blow them and the roofs(would that be rooves?) away. (LOL) oh and don't forget I'm waay too selfish to share my home with them, Mayhaps I'll catch them and send them to Charlotte for Tim to enjoy.

Kt
:) We have at least 2 children who would think of you fondly forever if you did!

I can't say the same for Tim, though.

Tell you what... I'll trade you a couple of skunks for those coons you got. But you'll have to come pick them up. :)
Shannon

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:50 am

:) We have at least 2 children who would think of you fondly forever if you did!

I can't say the same for Tim, though.

Tell you what... I'll trade you a couple of skunks for those coons you got. But you'll have to come pick them up. :)
your kids would not like these big mean nasty racoons, nor Tim nor you who'd have to clean up from them. Those Dosney movies showing what a racoon does to the interior are not exaggerating. My bosses mother from the dotcom I worked at "loved all the little animals" (please say this with a sickeningly sweet voice) she had a young racoon she brought to work and kept in the staff kitchen. Now I really Like Vicki, I am not wild about her wildlife. and racoons since they are wild will try to kill you if you get too close. I used to go on about my 'allergies' to keep her from making me hold these wild animals.
Now don't get me wrong, I do love animals, but people do come first.
And... I think I'll pass on your generous offer of the skunks, but thanks anyway.

Kt

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:07 pm

Katy, you say you weren't talking about politics (which you keep referring to as 'big L' Liberal) but your post immediately after mine begs to differ:
-Tim
Tim, now we all know where we stand, each of us socio-politically, so we needn't beat that particular dead horse again. I shouldn't have used the first example of the mis-use of liberal, I can't believe, however, that liberal means wasteful, yet in both examples it is wasteful. Ok, that cleared up,
I really wish you wouldn't use wide sweeping statements about how other people think or feel. I personally believe you are wrong about those you obviously see as a complete opposite of yourself, in your belief structure. I wish there were times when we could discusss our similarities without casting any aspersions.

We all love our families and the same God, and we do our best to serve our fellow man in the way we know best. can we not go with that?

Kt
Last edited by KatyBr on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:14 pm

Tim, now we all know where we stand, each of us socio-politically, so we needn't beat that particular dead horse again.
Where do I stand?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:15 pm

BD, tall in the saddle?

Kt

Tims Wife
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Tims Wife » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Does anyone know the quote that goes something like this? : "Where one stands often depends upon where one sits."

Sometimes it seems like there is standing room only.
Shannon

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Humpty dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty dumpty had a great fall
All the King's horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

Brazilian dude, so mature
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Mayhaps I'll catch them and send them to Charlotte for Tim to enjoy.

Kt
...trade for skunks...
But you'll have to come pick them up. :)
Shannon, when I win this house http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/t ... 49,00.html
I'll bring 'em wif me

Kt
BD, don't go changing.....we love you just the way you are.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”