Suggestion Box

What would you like to see on our site?
anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:17 pm

Rather repeating myself, I submit another supplication for the sub/sup, and add a request for more font sizes. It would be nice to have a size making small caps out of normal caps. I tried the present "small", but found it too diminutive. Some of us would probably find it useful for writing Japanese ON readings.
Irren ist männlich

ashaffer
Site Admin

Postby ashaffer » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Rather repeating myself, I submit another supplication for the sub/sup, and add a request for more font sizes. It would be nice to have a size making small caps out of normal caps. I tried the present "small", but found it too diminutive. Some of us would probably find it useful for writing Japanese ON readings.
You can enter other numbers in the [ size=X ] tags to scale the font's size in pixels.

I've added a modification to allow [ sub ] and [ sup ] tags, I'll need to look to see how to make the buttons, but for now it might be necessary to use them manually.

Code: Select all

x[sup]2[/sup] Y[sub]x[/sub]
x[sup]2[/sup] Y[sub]x[/sub]

Tiny - 7
Small - 9
Normal - 12
Regular - ??
Large - 18
Huge - 24
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:26 pm

Andrew, I think most of us wouldn't have any problem typing the tags manually. Thanks for the additions!

On the other hand, I am easily spoilt by the fact that we can select text for editing and simply click the desired button to modify the text string. It's the little things that can bring the greatest pleasure sometimes! :lol:

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:49 am

Alls I want is to be able to see the font so I can read it, if you choose and thin spidery text look I will be struggling,

katy
as to the buttons for code, I think newbies will like that. I can't count the times I've IMed the new people over and over detailing how to [quote] [url] and post a hyperlink.

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:41 am

Yeah what does "Code" do anyway?

76d73mnb
I obviously don't know what I'm doing!

And how do "List" and "List=" work?
  • a, b, c,
  • j, k, l, m

Help?

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:02 pm

I have some confusion also, I thought the buttons might be self-explanatory, but alas!

Katy
testing
  • this,
    that
    some other thing

text
maybe:
[li]this,
[li]that
[li]some other thing

Garzo
Lexiterian

Postby Garzo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:02 am

I found the BBCode Guide quite useful.
"Poetry is that which gets lost in translation" — Robert Frost

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:08 pm

I guess I just need to get used to this. Ah one clicks the intended code button, then types text and clicks the code button again to 'close it'. I used the underlined.

Katy
here is boldnow italic

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:51 pm

Many thanks, Garzo!

I would never have thought to read the directions!

(Still under the influence of testosterone after all these years!)

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:37 pm

That's ok Apo, they say
1)Great minds learn by doing, doing and doing til they figure it out,
2)mediocre minds by reading instructions,
3)and small minds by watching others doing.

I think that's right....

Katy

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:53 am

That's ok Apo, they say
1)Great minds learn by doing, doing and doing til they figure it out,
2)mediocre minds by reading instructions,
3)and small minds by watching others doing.

I think that's right....

Katy
1) If at first you don't succeed, perhaps parachuting is not for you.
2) When in doubt, RTFM. :wink:
3) If you don't learn from another's mistake you'll have to learn from your own.

Andrew, the other new feature I appreicate is the Topic Review which stays on the page after you do a Preview. On the old board, it only appeared on the first compose page, and then dropped into the bit bucket. You could not review other messages when composing after doing a refresh.

Before I found out that you could close a tag by clicking on it a second time, I did notice that if I clicked the button to open a tag but closed it manually, a Preview or a Post caused the system to add another closing tag at the end of the message, even though I had closed the tag in a preceding paragraph. But, I'm so used to the code from the old board that it's usually faster to just type the code than take my fingers off the keyboard to use the mouse.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 am

OK, APO, I tried, Larry didn't like it and I see he's whistling dirty songs again!

Katy

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:03 am

I agree with Larry, in that it's usually easier for me to just type the text with the modifying code as I go.

However, the buttons in phpBB code are so friendly when it comes to pasting copied text! For example, copying the text from Etymonline.com, on the old board I had to manually go through the text and insert the code text to modify certain words to Italics, etc.; but on this board, you can simply double-click the text you want to modify and click the respective formatting button you wish to apply!

So it's definitely a lot easier with copied text to which you would apply any formatting.

-Tim

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Recent Posts List

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:19 pm

http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/searc ... =tenrecent

Should work better. It will still offer pages of posts at the bottom and a post count at the top, but they can be safely ignored. Is there anything needs to be changed?
Andrew, I think a button with the above link would be a most valuable addition to the Agora arsenal. One minor point : when testing it today, I noted that links contained in postings are not presented as functioning links, but rather as URLs - thus the link to the site of an associate professor of astronomy at Ohio State (Sun’s orbit through the galaxy) in one of my own recent postings comes out as «[url=http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu ... tes30.html]Sun’s orbit through the galaxy» ; i e, without the final «[/ url]» required to convert the phrase to a working link. Is it possible to correct this ?

On another matter, I've noticed that when writing responses to others' postings, if I am interrupted and forced to devote my attention to other concerns (patients, staff, administrators- whomever) for a time, I am often find myself logged off before I've been able to complete my posting. When, after finally doing so, I then attempt to post my opusculus, which still appears on my screen, I am asked to log in again, but when I do the message I had written with such care irretrievably disappears into electronic limbo. I believe Katy has said something about blood pressure on this thread - I should not want to measure mine when this sort of thing happens ! Is it possible to rewrite the software so that messages, once started, do not automatically disappear, even if the limits for how long one remains logged in are inadvertently exceeded ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

stress

Postby KatyBr » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:13 pm

AH Henri, Stress stress,Stress!. I eliminate them all as I see them pop up. even small (HA! especially small) stresses can get one's goat, and I ain't talking scape.

'course one can just rearrange how one perceives things so as to not allow stress too.
one way to eliminate That stress, Henri ois to routinely compose on notepad.

Katy

Return to “Suggestions”