Contractions

You have words - now what do you do with them?
dmhosea
Junior Lexiterian

Contractions

Postby dmhosea » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:21 am

Hi. I'm new to the site and hope no one has asked this before but it's been bugging me!

Does anyone hate that people don't know when to use the contraction 'you're' or the actual your? In school they taught us that if you can say 'you are' then that's when you use the contraction. I always thought this was pretty easy. Am I alone?

I've got more of these questions with spelling, grammar and other things. I don't know if I had good teachers that taught us great memory skills or what! :)

Deanna McAlister Hosea RN

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:34 am

Does anyone hate that people don't know when to use the contraction 'you're' or the actual your?
I do. You see lots of unwanted possessive it's here.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 pm

I do. You see lot's of unwanted possessive it's here.

Brazilian dude
dude: I have helpfully edited you're[sic] reply to (sub)standard written English.

-gailr :wink:

welcome, dmhosea...

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Contractions

Postby sluggo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:24 pm

Hi. I'm new to the site and hope no one has asked this before but it's been bugging me!

Does anyone hate that people don't know when to use the contraction 'you're' or the actual your? In school they taught us that if you can say 'you are' then that's when you use the contraction. I always thought this was pretty easy. Am I alone?

I've got more of these questions with spelling, grammar and other things. I don't know if I had good teachers that taught us great memory skills or what! :)

Deanna McAlister Hosea RN
Your :wink: not alone Deanna! I'm always stupefied at some people's inability to manage such a simple thing.

How about those sign's with apostrophe's for plural's (gee'z its hard to write like this).

I don't know if it's [dummymode off] our upbringin's or what. I attribute it to Catholic school education.
Last edited by sluggo on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huia Iesou
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Huia Iesou » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm planning to write an article for my school newspaper on this. I cringe very time someone misuse's an apostrophe.

Return to “Grammar”