Nylons vs. Panty Hose

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
AHalfmann
Junior Lexiterian

Nylons vs. Panty Hose

Postby AHalfmann » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:18 am

I was born in the mid 60's in NE Texas and have lived what I've thought to be a pretty well-rounded life. I had never heard anyone my age refer to panty hose (or just plain "hose" for short) as nylons until a neighbor close to my age, who moved to Texas from CT, came over and asked me to point her to the closest store that sold 'nylons.' It took me a second (maybe two) to figure out what she meant -- I recovered quickly, giving her directions as if I encountered that request daily, and sent her on her way.

Are there any other names out there for 'hose' other than nylons? A girl has to be prepared! :!:
Mama of three boys, wife of one, writer by day, musician by night

katspaw
Junior Lexiterian

Postby katspaw » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:15 pm

I've always called them stockings, myself. Especially if they're the gartered kind that I preferred, or the thigh-high type.
And on the eighth day, God said, "Okay, Murphy, you take over!"

AHalfmann
Junior Lexiterian

Postby AHalfmann » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:56 pm

Stockings, of course. I've heard of stockings. But not lately.
Mama of three boys, wife of one, writer by day, musician by night

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Something got me to thinking about Lederhosen, that took me to hose>stockings, however lederhosen are not hose by any means but shorts with suspenders. From English to German <<hose>> goes to SCHLAUCH, STRUMPFWAREN, KNIEHOSE, HOSE, ABSPRITZEN, SPRITZEN , and hose from German to English I get TROUSERS, PANTS, SLACKS, BREECHES, HOSE. My question is The English idea of hose is a very tightfitting wrap on the legs but it has a much looser intrepretation in German, anyone have a good etymology for it? from breeches to stockings or tights.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Scooter1
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Scooter1 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:30 pm

My family is from the Blue Ridge Mtns, NC but I was raised in Maryland. I call them nylons.

Barbara Fuller
Junior Lexiterian

Nylons!

Postby Barbara Fuller » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:12 pm

Growing up in Delaware, everyone always called them 'nylons'.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:39 am

Originally women's stockings of any material only went about half way up the thigh. They were at various times held up by a garter belt (sometimes called a suspender belt); a garment worn over the underpants, to which a short double-ended fastener could be attached, with the other end attached to the stocking. At other times an elastic garter would be worn around the top end of the stocking.

The term panty hose came into common usage when, for the first time, a woman could choose between traditional stockings/hose, and a one piece stocking that terminated in a "panty", which could be worn over - in stead of - underpants; thus eliminating the need for garters and garter belts.

Here is a fascinating article on the invention of nylon, and how it was applied to hosery before it was to any other usage. http://invention.smithsonian.org/center ... drama.html. And this link is the history of stockings. http://www.stockingshq.com/articles/his ... istory.htm.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:07 am

In my mind there is a big difference between stockings and hose. At least I have been programmed by my lovely wife to believe such, since, as a man, I never had to worry about these details, but having a little girl requires a different (more complete?) understanding of the world of apparel...

I now always think of stockings as the thicker, warmer material -- more sock-like maybe? (Of course, "stockings" can also be longer socks...) Hose, on the other hand (foot?), are lighter material, always made of thin nylon material.

Don't know if anyone else makes that distinction.

-Tim

deespoohbear
Junior Lexiterian

Postby deespoohbear » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:44 pm

I always called them "pantyhose" or "hose" for short. I do remember hearing my Grandmothers (who were born in 1911 and 1918) refer to them as nylons. I am in my late 30's and live in Indiana.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”