Massachusetts vs. Massatusetts

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
KGalvan
Junior Lexiterian

Massachusetts vs. Massatusetts

Postby KGalvan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:58 pm

I'm from rural and urban Texas and say Massatusetts. I was told the "correct" way to pronounce it was Massachusetts. However, I know other people from the South and West who also prounce it Massatusetts. On the other hand, some people I know from the South and West and everyone I know from the North pronounce it Massachusetts. Is there really a "correct" way to pronounce this or is it just like any other Yankee/Southern word with a differerent pronunciation?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:28 pm

I've lived in various states and have never heard this pronounced other than "Massachusetts". Who told you it was correct to...kind of...lisp it?

I do raise my eyebrows at old timers in these-here parts who say "Huh-WYE-yuh" for "Hawaii".

-gailr
Last edited by gailr on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:46 pm

this reminds me of the substitution in many many dialects and accents of English that say f for th of ph, I think, when hearing it is it laziness or custom? Or should I say I fink is it laziness or custom?

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

tess
Junior Lexiterian

MassaCHusetts

Postby tess » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:11 pm

It is never correct to say "MassaTUsetts". The 'ch' is pronounced as spelled. It has nothing to do with Yankee vs. Southern pronunciation.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”