Has anyone out there ever heard of a 6 foot wedge?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Has anyone out there ever heard of a 6 foot wedge?

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:37 pm

Passed(?) the Rebel-Yankee test today. But I was perplexed by the "big sandwich" question. In Westchester County, NY outside of NYC we called those long loaves filled with processed meats and cheeses "wedges". Wedges came in a variety of sizes ranging from single portions (6 inch) to football team feasts (6 foot). Every single pool party, picnic and teenage social gathering found a 5 foot or 6 foot (never say "feet" when ordering) wedge as the centerpiece of the refreshment table. I moved to New Jersey as a young adult and once phoned a local pizzeria to order a "meatball wedge". The guy on the other end of the line had NO IDEA what I was talking about! Evidently, a warm, overloaded sandwich west of the Hudson River is a "hot hero". But be careful! Should you prefer the cold variety you must ask for a "sub". Tricky, huh? In New Jersey, wedges are either fashionable shoes or carpentry tools, but NEVER, EVER a sandwich! Anyone out there ever heard of a wedge? Comments welcomed and appreciated!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:32 pm

hmmmm a wedge? ok just make sure you don't get cute and order a wedgie. nope, they aren't shoes, or sammies, they just aren't.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Wedge to wedgie...

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Ah! So it's time for fanny humor! Or is that potty humor, bathroom talk, butt jokes or crack cracks ? (just made that last one up all by my little self). Wonder what the "experts" think. You know, my parents spoke Swedish as their first language and often inverted the letters W and V. (ex. That vas wery,wery good). Can you imagine the nightmare it would have been for my "Sveedish" Mom or Dad try to take a stab at ordering a Veggie Wedge? Thanks for a good laugh... BUT CERTAINLY SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS HEARD OF A MEATBALL WEDGE

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Welcome, swinglish: post early, post often.

Sadly, I'm inclined to think that you're out on that wedge all by yourself, so far...

-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:40 pm

A poorly made meatball might get wedged in one's throat.

In fact food regularly gets wedged in mine due to multiple neck surgeries. I just had to learn to remain calm and keep breathing until it finally agrees to head for the esophagus.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Try a Swedish meatball. They are a smaller, kinder, gentler meatball. EARTH TO NORTHERN WESTCHESTER! COME IN WESTCHESTER! TELL THESE PEOPLE ABOUT THE 6 FOOT WEDGE! Bueller, anyone...anyone... I did not make this up...there are "wedges" to be ordered and eaten 30-40 miles north of NYC! I swear it!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:53 pm

that brings the question:
to wedge or not to wedge, that is the question,
whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the subs and hoagies of outrageous po'boys, or to take arms against a sea of cold cuts and by wedging end our hunger.

nope sorry it just doesn't sound appetizing. Where did you say they say that again?

mark
I keep seeing the Quisnos toasteds ads and wish we had one here. Yummy, now that's a sammie.

kb

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:04 am

Alrighty then... Wedges can be found 30-40 miles NNE of NYC somewhere off of the Saw Mill River Parkway or I684. Or...or...or...wait a minute! Maybe they're not calling them wedges anymore! Maybe the word "wedge" went out with Keds, Lisa Frank stickers and the RUBIK'S CUBE. Just went to my wallet and took a look at my driver's license! It's crystal clear to me now...wedges died many moons ago...with acid washed jeans and A-HA. Tragic, really... I say, Quiznos should reinvent "THE WEDGE".

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:53 am

Ok, I did some researching for you to enlighten us all, but all I could find after some brief searching was that Pace University Campus Dining lists the meatball wedge as one of their specialty sandwiches. You can download their document here.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:17 pm

Nice Wedge Soliloquoy, Bailey!

Alack, this is what might come of it:
Heaven and Earth, must I remember? My mother has married my uncle, and turned me into my own cousin.
-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:33 pm

Nice Wedge Soliloquoy, Bailey!

Alack, this is what might come of it:
Heaven and Earth, must I remember? My mother has married my uncle, and turned me into my own cousin.
-gailr
Now that's an Alack, what a wedge indeed. Get thee to a nunnery

mark

kb

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 pm

Let's stay on topic here...A MEATBALL WEDGE HAS BEEN FOUND on a Pace University menu...listed as a "specialty". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I'm not crazy!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:18 am

Wikipedia Wedge disambiguation page.

Wikipedia Submarine Sandwich page (Lists various regional variations, including Wedge.)

A web page by Barry Popik listing several purveyors of Westchester Wedges.

Roadfood.com Hoagie/Grinder and Submarine forum discussion. Search (Ctrl-F in IE) for Wedge.

Brett Hager had a page with a paragraph about the Wedge, including a link to a University of Wisconsin Dialect Survey which included the question: "What do you call the long sandwich that contains cold cuts, lettuce, and so on?" Maps of what locations in the Lower 48 States use which word are included. Sub is the winner with 77%. Sadly, there is no specific entry for Wedge.

I think that oughtta hold us for a while!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 am

Found some more wedges, folks. The Lakeland School District (Weschester Co.?) serves 'em up. *NEWS FLASH* Evidently, wedges have crossed the border into Fairfield County, CT as I found them on restaurant menus in Norwalk and Stamford, CT as well. Thanks to all who have gone IN SEARCH OF wedges with me!

formeryank
Junior Lexiterian

6 Foot Wedge

Postby formeryank » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:54 pm

Just took the Yankee-Rebel test and got a 38%. I am formerly of Yonkers,N.Y.Westchester County and yes I have indulged in many a 6 foot Wedge. What else would they be called???? I lived in Ma. for a while and also asked for a meatball wedge and the guy looked at me like i had four heads. I now live in Mo. and they WORSH their clothes here too. Go figure!!!!

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”