"Do What?"

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Lee
Junior Lexiterian

"Do What?"

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:28 pm

In Texas (and most of the South) I hear people ask: "do what?" when they wish someone to repeat what was just said (regardless of whether they think they were ask to "do something or not)... is this common elsewhere?

Another pet peeve is when people say "I could care less" ... when what they really mean is " I could not care less".

I am eager to hear your comments.

Lee
"I'm not a scholar, you know ..."

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:33 pm

I say that, no telling where I picked it up.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:41 pm

It reminds me of the Mexican mande, which I found quite odd when I first heard it. Mande (send) you what?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

AdoAnnie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby AdoAnnie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:54 pm

"Do What?" can be a request to repeat spoken words, but where I am from, Texas Gulf Coast, the phrase is much more often used to express unexpected negative reaction to something that has been heard, seen or read.

As in:
Note on Bulletin Board
As of next week all workers will be expected to skip lunch and work through their breaks without compensation.

Reader's reaction with shocked facial expression and body language with a voice tone of utter disbelief

"Do WHAT?!?!?"
The neighbors said that they knew the man who'd been shot for years.

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:59 pm

The Colombian who works in my office often uses the expression "¿Cómo?"... which I have imagined, each time I hear it, as his way of saying "What?", although I know it isn't the meaning of the word...

-Tim

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Yeah, I think ¿Cómo? is universally used. In Portuguese we also say Como?. It literally translates as how.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:09 pm

LOL... I guess "How?" is closer to "Huh?" than it is to "What?"

-Tim ;)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:40 pm

"Do what?" is just as often "huh? as it is "say again". Another form of "do what" is "come again", where the meaning is always "say that again".

I think that there is a nuance in the difference between "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less". The former implies that it would be possible to care less, but it isn't worth the effort of trying to care less. The later is less sarcastic and more emphatically absolute.

In the North, "I don't care to do _______", intends to convey a dislike for whatever that action is. In the South (at least in Western North Carolina) the same phrase is used to say that "it wouldn't bother me if I had to do _____".
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: "Do What?"

Postby Stargzer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:15 pm

. . .
Another pet peeve is when people say "I could care less" ... when what they really mean is " I could not care less".

Lee
They could care less if they cared enough to put in the effort to do so . . . 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Lee
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Lee » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:03 pm

. . .

Lee
They could care less if they cared enough to put in the effort to do so . . . 8)
Well .... okay then .... :cry:

Lee
"I'm not a scholar, you know ..."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:13 pm

Well .... okay then .... :cry:

Lee
Cheer up! :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:33 am

In Texas (and most of the South) I hear people ask: "do what?" when they wish someone to repeat what was just said (regardless of whether they think they were ask to "do something or not)... is this common elsewhere?

Lee
I don't get to Texas much but I do hear "do what?" here and there as request for repitition, I guess around the South. Then I had a teacher in grade school who, when she didn't hear you, would say, "Well?". Always sounded like "well? are you going to repeat that or what? I'm waiting!" Both are a bit offputting.

I couldn't agree more about "could care less" meaning just the opposite. Linguistic poison. Drives me nuts. Maybe I should say I could agree more, to mean I couldn't. I get Perry's point about nuanced sarcasm but it just doesn't seem that those who use 'could care less' have enough awareness of their own speech to engage in nuanced sarcasm. They prolly couldn't care less.

And I'll throw in a side of French "comment?" to go with Perry's 'como' (OK it wasn't Perry. I'm stretching.....)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:05 pm

I can croon, but it doesn't come through on this bulletin board.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”