Boss Pepsi?

A discussion of word histories and origins.
hen
Junior Lexiterian

Boss Pepsi?

Postby hen » Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 pm

Has anyone else ever heard or used the term "boss" to describe a 2-liter soft drink?

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am

Do you get more than one straw with that?
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Boss Pepsi

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed May 03, 2006 12:07 pm

It is a new term to us in central PA. Where did you hear it?
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed May 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Amazing what one can find on the Internet.

Bob Timmerman at this website says:
Since I spent much of my childhood at my father's store and we sold many different soft drinks, I had to come up with a word to differentiate between brands, so "Coke" to me literally means "Coke".

We also sold more Pepsi than Coke at the store, primarily because Pepsi gave us more price breaks.

The only weird holdover we had was that for a brief time in the 1970s, Pepsi sold a 64 oz version in a glass bottle called "The Boss" and from then on "Boss Pepsi" became the word to describe all large Pepsis, even when they switched to plastic and became 2 liters instead of 64 fluid ounces.
(Reference post #330.)

Apparently the website is "Jon Weisman's outlet for dealing psychologically with the Los Angeles Dodgers and baseball." Ironically, the thread turns into an extended discussion of what terms people use to describe various carbonated beverages.

-Tim

hen
Junior Lexiterian

Postby hen » Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 pm

That's it, tcward!!!

My family has used the word "boss" to describe a 2-liter for as long as I can remember. A lot of people look at me strange when I call it that, though. It got me to wondering, where did I first hear it....where did it come from? Then I found this website and thought it'd be a good place to ask.

Thanks for finding that information, tcward!

Return to “Etymology”