BLARNEY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

BLARNEY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:45 pm

• blarney •

Pronunciation: blah(r)-nee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Mass noun

Meaning: 1. The ability to cajole, to flatter eloquently, with a silver tongue. 2. Nonsense, poppy-cock.

Notes: Today's word is a lexical orphan, albeit an unusual one. It is unusual for a noun to refer to an activity; activities are usually expressed by verbs. So, today's Good Word may itself be used as a verb, to blarney, which has all the forms of a verb: blarneys, blarneyed, blarneying. The verb opens the door for an agent noun, blarneyer "someone good at blarney".

In Play: The semantic slide of today's good word from eloquence to nonsense aptly illustrates the English-speaking world's skepticism of eloquent speech. "Sean got his gift of blarney from the Good Words at the Alpha Dictionary site, though he is known to kiss the occasional rock." If your blarney is unconvincing, it becomes something quite different, mentioned in meaning No. 2 above: "That story of her love affair with a leprechaun is pure blarney."

Word History: The eponym of today's good word is the tiny village of Blarney, just outside the city of Cork in Ireland. The Blarney Stone is perched high up in the battlements of Blarney Castle there. The stone was given to Cormac McCarthy by Robert the Bruce in 1314 in recognition of his support in the Battle of Bannockburn, seen in motion picture, Braveheart, starring Mel Gibson. Legend would have it be half the Stone of Scone over which Scottish Kings were crowned. (:D We wish the lot of you crowned with the luck of the Irish on St. Patrick's Day tomorrow—and that is no blarney!)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:05 am

It's a good excuse to make corned beef and cabbage and have a Guinness!

I have a tape of Celtic Music I always play during dinner. Those Celtic songs just go on and on changing subtly. I wish I knew what they were saying!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Return to “Good Word Discussion”