UMbrella

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
janosh
Junior Lexiterian

UMbrella

Postby janosh » Wed May 10, 2006 7:12 pm

My husband has a (very southern) habit of putting the accent on the first syllable of words like GUItar, THANKSgiving, and THEater. It seems to me like this happens when words seem "special" or foreign in some way, but I can't think of specific examples. Someone else mentioned "INsurance." Has anyone else got examples?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed May 10, 2006 7:50 pm

It isn't THEater? :?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Mama
Junior Lexiterian

Examples

Postby Mama » Wed May 10, 2006 8:02 pm

I have a "Southern" habit of saying PERmit, to mean a license, and perMIT to mean I will allow you to do something. Actually, I thought that was just using English correctly, but here in Pennsylvania, everybody (especially my husband) says perMIT to mean go get your perMIT to drive. Also they say adDRESS to mean where you live, but I would say ADdress, unless I meant to adDRESS a crowd with a speech of some kind.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Initial accent

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed May 10, 2006 11:56 pm

The tendency for accent to retract to the initial syllable in Southern dialects (INsurance, POlice, etc.) should not be confused with an interesting aspect of English grammar in general. Usually when we derive a noun from a verb we add a suffix, as in state : state-ment, educate : educat-ion, insure : insur-ance.

However, in a large class of English verbs, the noun is formed by simply shifing the accent from the last syllable to the first:

to surVEY : a SURvey
to reJECT : a REject
to conFINE : CONfines

It applies to all verbs with the prefix re-:

to reWRITE : a REwrite
to reRUN : a RErun
to reFUND : a REfund

There are thousands of pairs like this. This means of derivation is so unusual that many speakers confuse the two forms.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

janosh
Junior Lexiterian

THEater

Postby janosh » Thu May 11, 2006 10:16 am

I thought of my THEater mistake as soon as I posted it. There's no problem with emphasis, but rather that the a is pronounced like the a in lake instead of the a in about.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu May 11, 2006 4:20 pm

VE' hikkle, said by every single law enforcement officer, it's actually closer to VE' HICK' le with two emphases, as though they can't quite decide if it has the first or second syllable. And Tee'vee instead of tee VEE'. The classic is of course, the PO' lease

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu May 11, 2006 11:18 pm

However, in a large class of English verbs, the noun is formed by simply shifing the accent from the last syllable to the first:
I was watching an American sitcom the other day and somebody pronounced TOR-ment as a verb and I immediately remembered Tim. See, Tim? We think about ya all the time.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon May 29, 2006 5:08 pm

Soemthing special or foreign?
Foreign like DEtroit, Michigan?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon May 29, 2006 8:29 pm

I used to be from DEtroit, Michigan; but I got over it.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Examples

Postby sluggo » Wed May 31, 2006 12:45 am

I have a "Southern" habit of saying PERmit, to mean a license, and perMIT to mean I will allow you to do something. Actually, I thought that was just using English correctly, but here in Pennsylvania, everybody (especially my husband) says perMIT to mean go get your perMIT to drive. Also they say adDRESS to mean where you live, but I would say ADdress, unless I meant to adDRESS a crowd with a speech of some kind.
That's odd, I grew up in PA too and everybody said PERmit as the thing you drove with and perMIT as the verb. As for address, I think both ways were heard with maybe a slight favour to adDRESS.

Of course as we know, PA is at least two different states.

My brother, who was in a certain youth organisation, would always be irked when our grandmother referred to said organisation as "the boy SCOUTS".
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: THEater

Postby sluggo » Wed May 31, 2006 12:48 am

I thought of my THEater mistake as soon as I posted it. There's no problem with emphasis, but rather that the a is pronounced like the a in lake instead of the a in about.
Methinks you mean the emphasis as in the-AY-ter...?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed May 31, 2006 12:30 pm

I was watching an American sitcom the other day and somebody pronounced TOR-ment as a verb and I immediately remembered Tim. See, Tim? We think about ya all the time.

Brazilian dude
Wow... I missed this thread the first time through. And I'm not so sure I like the idea (I-dee) that my name is associated with torment. ;-)

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed May 31, 2006 3:09 pm

Wow... I missed this thread the first time through. And I'm not so sure I like the idea (I-dee) that my name is associated with torment. ;-)

-Tim
I think he's just terrunting you, Tim.
-gailr

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”