I Beg to Differ

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Red Angel
Junior Lexiterian

I Beg to Differ

Postby Red Angel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:37 pm

I think this test focuses too much on a few specific vocabulary words - and very little on gramatical differences between the way people talk in the North and the South. As a result, someone who acquired zir basic speech from the North, but has learned many specific vocabulary words from the South would register as "dixie".

Of course -- it may be unrealistic to expect more from a multiple-choice Internet test -- but that only means that a multiple-choice Internet test can't really tell whether someone is from the North or the South.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: I Beg to Differ

Postby sluggo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:32 pm

I think this test focuses too much on a few specific vocabulary words - and very little on gramatical differences between the way people talk in the North and the South. As a result, someone who acquired zir basic speech from the North, but has learned many specific vocabulary words from the South would register as "dixie".

Of course -- it may be unrealistic to expect more from a multiple-choice Internet test -- but that only means that a multiple-choice Internet test can't really tell whether someone is from the North or the South.
Point well taken, Red. I am one such half-breed and registered 50% Dixie, but still found inadequacies already noted elsewhere. Then again, such a test being shipped around the e-ther* does serve as an entry door to this wonderful list for many of us if my experience is typical.

And a belated welcome a-board!

*NB in retrospect maybe that term should be e-ether? Wadi y'all think? I'm just making it up.
Last edited by sluggo on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Exactly, Sluggo! It's how I found this site.
Welcome, Red Angel!

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”