talkin' southern

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 31, 2006 3:35 pm

. . . "that which does not kill me makes me stranger."

-gailr
She does find the strangest links sometimes . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Huny
Lexiterian

Talkin' Suthern

Postby Huny » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:01 am

Talk about mixed-nuts-- I was born and raised in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA, by southern parents and grandparents from BOTH sides. They were very proper, so I was raised that way (raised on grits, too). Then, I moved to Georgia and met and married a (these are his words, not mine) true Georgia Boy. Sometimes it's like we talk two different languages in this house. He likes to "grill" his steaks and I "bar-b-que" mine. Just to name a few. He is always telling me to "talk english" ?? It keeps things very funny around here,but I love him for it. Oh, joy, I can hardly wait till we have kids!! Oh, what fun!! Bi-lingual?
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

TIDE-HSV
Junior Lexiterian

"ya'll" as addressed...

Postby TIDE-HSV » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:09 pm

to a single person is a common misunderstanding. When "ya'll" is addressed to a single person, as in "Ya'll come, heanh?" the addressee understands that the invitation is issued to him/her and the whole family. "Yonder," or its variant, "yon" is simply a conservatism which has faded out of Northern dialects. It's still present in German, another conservative lanugage :D, as "jener," pronounced approximately as "yehner."

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Talkin' Suthern

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:04 pm

He likes to "grill" his steaks and I "bar-b-que" mine.
according to the food network,barbequing is for slow cooking; grilling is quick cooking outdoors, for those of us who just wanna eat yall.
mark
it's traditional for me to 'burn the meat'.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Re: Talkin' Suthern

Postby Huny » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:37 am

He likes to "grill" his steaks and I "bar-b-que" mine.
according to the food network,barbequing is for slow cooking; grilling is quick cooking outdoors, for those of us who just wanna eat yall.
mark
it's traditional for me to 'burn the meat'.
This is from Dictionary.com.(BTW: I asked some southern friends what they call slow cooking out of doors and they said they called it "smoking" or "smoked meat" usually done in a smoker simular to a barbecue grill only it cooks slower and gives it a "smoked" flavor.)

barbecue

n 1: meat that has been barbecued or grilled in a highly seasoned sauce [syn: barbeque] 2: a cookout in which food is cooked over an open fire; especially a whole animal carcass roasted on a spit [syn: barbeque] 3: a rack to hold meat for cooking over hot charcoal usually out of doors [syn: barbeque] v : cook outdoors on a barbecue grill; "let's barbecue that meat"; "We cooked out in the forest" [syn: cook out]

A grill is what you cook the barbecued meat on, and according to my husband,ours is on fire as we speak..... :shock: I hope he didn't mistake our wiener-dog
for a hot dog!!!
Gotta go!!
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Re: talkin' southern

Postby Ferrus » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:58 pm

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
I had no idea anyone still used this. Reminds me of 'Good King Wenceslas', 'Yonder peasant, who is he?'

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:38 pm

Yonder is practically standard usage in these h'yar parts. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:12 pm

Yonder is practically standard usage in these h'yar parts. :wink:
Yup. Here, too. Definitely not obsolete here, even among the educated.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:40 am

And yet right after telling us our destination is over yonder they say, "But you can't get there from here."

mark Oy-Vey Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:24 pm

And yet right after telling us our destination is over yonder they say, "But you can't get there from here."

mark Oy-Vey Bailey
I think of that as a Maineiac expression.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:49 pm

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
I had no idea anyone still used this. Reminds me of 'Good King Wenceslas', 'Yonder peasant, who is he?'
Aye, laddie; some o' us provincials are not as au courant as our progenitors on that wee sma' isle off o' the coast o' Pas-de-Calais. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Putting in my 2 cents (a little late perhaps), BBQ is chicken or pork and served with BBQ sauce. Steak is grilled.

Yonder is used frequently here, and since my grandparents were farmers all their lives, I do know how much a "mess" is.
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:26 pm

Putting in my 2 cents (a little late perhaps), BBQ is chicken or pork and served with BBQ sauce. Steak is grilled.
A slab of brisket, barbecued slowly over a mixture of mesquite and apple woods, makes a mighty convincing case for beef BBQ. And a plain roast (or grilled) chicken or piece of pork with BBQ sauce poured on it certainly wouldn't get five culinary stars in Texas.

Our butcher takes chickens and applies a dry BBQ rub, the exact recipe for which he won't divulge under threat, and then smokes them for about 12 hours over a VERY slow fire indeed. Don't need any sauce at all with those suckers.

On the other hand, a steak (on the grill) is something that I have to take care of myself. Suffice it to say: 1.5 inch thick Prime ribeye, four minutes each side over glowing fire, allow to rest for another four minutes while I conjure up a nice Caesar salad and a glass of Merlot. Life is good.

-- PW

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:55 pm

You are making me hungry, Palewriter! The best BBQ in the south (my opinion) is right next door to me. No joke. The smell gets you on the weekends (which is when they are open).
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:16 pm

Aye, laddie; some o' us provincials are not as au courant as our progenitors on that wee sma' isle off o' the coast o' Pas-de-Calais. :wink:
'Aye', 'laddie' 'wee' and 'o'' are all Scottish expressions I'm afraid. Well some are used in North England.

The Scots, Northern English and Southern American dialects appear to be the most conservative forms of the language. Most be something to do with speaking to farm animals all day.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”