¿Concordancia en plural?

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 31, 2006 3:25 pm

I mean it, all caps are spidery and hard to read, I squint, I get a headache, Stargzer always wants to look like the good guy. so be it I am the bad guy,
. . . and this place will turn into the empty hall the yourdictionary site is. . . .
Good guy? Don't go spoiling my reputation! I wear a black cowboy hat! (except during the summer when it's too hot. Those in the know should be able to guess the brand. ;))

Besides, I hardly think this place will disappear over a little thing like capital punishment. :lol:

I probably wouldn't have thought of using TextPad in this situation (since I'm not faced with the problem), but I opened it up and did a help search for changing case. It turns out you can select your text, then change it to all upper case, all lower case, all initial caps, or sentence case (only the first word of the sentence capitalized). The cool thing about sentence case is that it capitalizes a lone lower case "i" to the proper upper case "I."

Kewl! :)

I seem to recall that the only time you get a nag window is when you go to save a file. In this application, you could just use it to edit and convert case and then do a cut-and-paste, all without saving anything.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed May 31, 2006 3:43 pm

I have made adjustments for my sight, resolution, font sizing, and composing in notepad, but reading 'all-caps' is hard.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huia Iesou
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Huia Iesou » Wed May 31, 2006 5:30 pm

Bailey, did you notice that she's apologized and her last post was in lower-case? Go easy, please.

We could always just write both ways... :wink:
WE COULD ALWAYS JUST WRITE BOTH WAYS... :wink:

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm

I dont want to see "good" guys. vs "bad guys" cant we all just get along....?

I used all caps. I explained my reasons for it. And I will promise only to TRY to comply with the wishes of the general membership. I certainly didnt want any of my handicaps to become part of a public debate...besides thereis a myriad of many many more maladies that I have yet to mention. (LOL) OK I said I'd try to do what I can, I have been scolded and corrected enough already...and what about manners?...if I recall coreectly only Gailr asked me to "PLEASE use my inside voice" I havent yet figured out the text program, but it will just take me longer and i will make many MANY more mistakes than I usually do when typing..OK, I just hope anyone with a critical need to correct every little mistake "PLEASE" try to contain yourself..is all I ask...I'd like to think I am here for the fun of companionship and conversation...a little intellectual banter.

I am not here to "whine or to blame" anyone for any unwriten rules...just hope for the same respect I will give you..or anyone else and their handicaps...as somebody has mentioned~ we all have our own. Do unto others...huh? I know I am not likely to agree with each and every opinion here but I promise i will listen and respect your right to have one.

The one great thing I LOVE about one of my brain problems is the faulty short term memory. I already have forgotten most of which person has said what thus far....
and yes when I write in all caps, the caps lock IS on and I do use the shift key and my friends know I then use "lower case" as an emphasis. I did never claim I couldnt use lower case. I also "walk " backwards when I use a manual wheelchair cause I use whatever muslces are strongest and require the least work in that area too. A psychologist friend taught me ages ago, "work smarter, not harder". So if it works, I dont fix it. Since my caps dont work here, I have promised to try to adjust.

[Stargazer: Stetson ! was my husband Black hat, but also Tardan (Mexican) and Biltmore (Canadian) LOL]

thanks everyone for your useful suggestions....karen

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 31, 2006 6:48 pm

. . .
[Stargazer: Stetson ! was my husband Black hat, but also Tardan (Mexican) and Biltmore (Canadian) LOL]

thanks everyone for your useful suggestions....karen
Close but no cigar. A Stetson was my first hat, but I'll give you a clue: When it comes to character, they don't come any shadier than me! :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 31, 2006 6:51 pm

OK, I think there was a topic here once upon a time. Somthing about Spanish, a language in which I can only say "A beer please. Thank you very much, Sir / Madam / Young Lady!" And even then I'll probably use a few French words . . .
Regards//Larry

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed May 31, 2006 9:47 pm

Mark:
Sometimes, you can get someone out of a corner faster by gently pointing the way than by bitching at them for being in a corner. As a contrastandpatista you've shown yourself to be flexible in the past, :wink: and I doubt I'm the only one who thoroughly enjoys your wit, whatever case you post in.
pssst: Larry isn't necessarily the "good guy" you think he is. (Why do you think he's wearing the "Shady Brady" black cowboy hat?) I tell you, he's one onery varmint! He once incurred terrible wrath by referring to another poster by a "fowl" term!

Huia Iesou:
Now there's a suggestion.
NOW THERE'S A SUGGESTION.
All the new lurkers would think we've completely lost our minds, but it would slow down posts fired off in haste! :lol:

Karen:
I am pleased to see you're still down here in the mosh pit. It shows you have the right stuff; if you keep keep this up, you'll have a "grand" in your board designation, just like Brazilian dude, in no time. Be warned, though: you ain't seen nuthin', yet. Jest you wait til you voice a political opinion! Mua ha ha...

-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed May 31, 2006 11:29 pm

Bailey, did you notice that she's apologized and her last post was in lower-case? Go easy, please.
I have made adjustments for my sight, resolution, font sizing, and composing in notepad, but reading 'all-caps' is hard.

mark
I was just talking to stargzer, if he posts in all caps; to me, it's a foreign language. I thought my ideas of resolution and font sizing would help Karen, not just here but everywhere she travels in the world wide web. In compose mode on this forum it's difficult to see, I use Notepad or outlook express, (pssst) they have spell-check too, well it helps me.

mark
ps, I thought politics weren't allowed, interesting.

kb

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

thanx

Postby EZ2TALK » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:48 am

My heartfelt thanks to everyone and now I 'd say you are "stuck" with me...

OH ? Politics...nope...though I am a retired nurse we were taught dont discuss politics, sex or religion with anyone unless you are looking for an arguement.! lol nope, nuh uh, not me I steer clear of politics except for JOKES

keep it entertaining. yep laff at those politicians,,,

Karen 8)

be my guest fight amongst yourselves....lol I like to watch :lol:

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:01 am

Not allowed?

Not allowed?

[gailr carefully adjusts her white curled wig and rises to throw down...]

My Lords, may I remind my esteemed opponent that there may be precious few topics of interest to our species wherein semantics, inflection, pleonasm, hyperbole, catachresis, run-on sentences, emoticons, and excessive use of bolding and italics play a more significant role, than when a political point has been slipt, however surreptitiously, into a topic before this noble body?...

My Lords, obviously, it is incumbent on everyone who posts on a public board, especially those devoted to matters of speech and the subtle and diverse meanings therein, to respond in a timely fashion to correspondence from Members of the Board when a topic best refrained from during large family gatherings has unexpectedly reared its hydra heads...

My Lords, there are, of course, concerns of polity, but we all have a duty to expose and criticise any failings of spelling or grammar (as exemplars of faulty logic)—even in own most deeply-held convictions—although most especially in those of our esteemed colleagues—using the most skillfully-turned phrases we can bring to bear...

Thus I would hasten to assure the Speaker from the Bailey: whilst banging one's shoes upon one's keyboard in righteous offense, offering vulgarities and tasteless insults, and becoming purple in the face in the midst of bludgeoning others with one's views is in very bad form (earning harrumphs of protest and hisses from the gallery), a well-mannered political debate couched in what the hot-button words mean can be most invigorating.

My Lords, I am told that I am not allowed to speak more now, as we have reached the time limit of 20 minutes.

[/gailr carefully places white curled wig back into the closet --until next time---]

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:53 am

OOOOOOOK, so where are you on the proposition that elephants should be allowed to graze uninhibited on public lands? Me? It ain't fittin' and I'm agin it.

mark(ed for sure)

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:43 pm

. . .I was just talking to stargzer, if he posts in all caps; to me, it's a foreign language. I thought my ideas of resolution and font sizing would help Karen, not just here but everywhere she travels in the world wide web. . . .

mark
I just did that one post in caps. All else, including some PMs, are mixed case.
Well, M. Henri Day has been absent for a while, so things have quieted down for the most part, although Hotshoe and Spiff have thrown down the gauntlet recently . . .

Sometimes you have to ignore things, sometimes you can't. Ah, well, it's differences of opinion that make for a horse race.
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:47 pm

OOOOOOOK, so where are you on the proposition that elephants should be allowed to graze uninhibited on public lands? Me? It ain't fittin' and I'm agin it.

mark(ed for sure)
So long as someone else cleans up after them . . .
Regards//Larry

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:36 pm

What the man in the black hat said. (Larry, is it an Eddy by any chance?)

BTW, African or Indian pachyderms? :roll:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:56 pm

BTW, African or Indian pachyderms? :roll:
either, oc, and goats and cows and chickens all runnin' free is the day is long. Kin ye beleive it? A reg'lar zoo all over the place. What fun!

mark

kb

Return to “Languages of the World”