Rosetta Stone

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 pm

XP Pro, IE 6, decently sized Samsung SyncMaster 710v monitor, set at 1024 x 768. My only problem with the Rosetta ads was that it took a couple of minutes before I identified the Pashto numerals.
Irren ist männlich

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:22 pm

I stand corrected. I did misconstrue. I thought it was my post being attached again...now I see differently. I dont get anything about any ads but a small view at the very top; no enlargements as you state. I have XP on a PC.

It seems my post did some good if it helped identify a different problem with the site...As I was reading was thinking perhaps these are what Dr G made reference to when asking for problems after changing the phpbb?

I am not "program" wise and am only grateful these didnt happen to me, I would likely think it was something I accidently hit in error to bring it up. LOL

Feel great if I was a catalyst to correct any problem. I have a terrible time on my own trying to correct a problem I made with my cookie blocker. :oops:
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yeild to it-Oscar Wilde

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm bi-puteral also and tri-browser my resolution is 1024 X 768 and I have the obscuration too.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ad Box Blocking Agora?

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi,

I've noticed a lot of comments about the ad bar blocking the agora content. Which browsers are you using? (What resolution, and are you using large fonts?) We've tested the bar on Firefox (Linux and Windows), IE6, Opera and Safari (OS X 10.4's version). If the bar causes problems when you're viewing the agora, does it cause those same problems with the rest of the site? If you would be so kind as to send me a screenshot (My email address is in my profile) of what it looks like when it breaks, that would be super-good. :)

Thanks,

Andrew
I'm seeing it on IE6 via XP on both my desktop and my laptop. Still there today, but I've never seen the effect in any thread except this one, hence my original irony comment.

I'd send a screenshot if someone could instruct how to do that -happy to help.
Cheers

NB/addendum/PS - I just now noticed, after posting this reply and before this edit, that when I post this message, the bar settles in where it belongs; but on the original viewing (the thread before I clicked in to reply), it's still obscuring the textbox. Hope this helps.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:49 pm

As of today the Rosetta ad has settled its bad self down on the Forum Index page (Mac OSX-Safari) and is no longer looming like Poe's raven over every thread... (yay)

Wait...you mean this wasn't a subtle hint to encourage us to patronize our sponsors?
[perky voiceover] Hey Kids! Be the first one on your block to have your very own shard of the True Rosetta Stone(TM)! Buy it! BUY IT NOW! Each Rosetta Stone Shard comes with a secret easter egg--just follow the download wizard to shrink our ads back down to size. [/perky voiceover] 8)

-gailr

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Ironically, I think the column adjusted itself wider to accomodate the link Dr G posted in his response earlier.
Since this point seems to have been glossed over the first time, I will post it again.

And I'm also willing to prove the point by posting Dr G's link again to force the column wider, if it would help!

-Tim

edit: In other words, we're on page 2 now, so the link isn't forcing the column wider, because it's only back on page 1!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Ironically, I think the column adjusted itself wider to accomodate the link Dr G posted in his response earlier.
Since this point seems to have been glossed over the first time, I will post it again.

And I'm also willing to prove the point by posting Dr G's link again to force the column wider, if it would help!

-Tim

edit: In other words, we're on page 2 now, so the link isn't forcing the column wider, because it's only back on page 1!
Tim, I think you have it. Why don't we listen to you? Just swap back and forth between the two pages and notice how the width changes. Not necessary to repost the long link.

So Dr. Goodword put in the bad word. Irony upon irony here on the irony board.

PS I had to rewrite this because the first one mysteriously opened up a Rosetta Stone ad...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:56 pm

This ad y'all keep talking about must know I'm such a hard sell that I'd probably not buy it anyway. I don't see any popup ad obscuring anything. Never did on this board. Maybe it's the IE and/or Yahoo! popup blocker? As I said before, I have IE set to ignore font styles on the web page under the Accessibility button.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:52 am

sluggo, I must have had my cloaking device on when I posted it the first time. It happens to me a lot here at work, too.

Cloaking devices can come in handy, of course...

-Tim

ashaffer
Site Admin

Fixed It, Maybe?

Postby ashaffer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi,

Give this a shot. (Make sure you're getting the most recent version of the page, maybe clear your cache or hold SHIFT when clicking the reload button on your browser.) I've moved the ad bar to the left side so that when the text overflows from the main page (which is apparently what was happening, since Dr. Beard put a long link in his post which wouldn't line-wrap), it doesn't overflow underneath the ad bar.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Fixed It, Maybe?

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi,

Give this a shot. (Make sure you're getting the most recent version of the page, maybe clear your cache or hold SHIFT when clicking the reload button on your browser.) I've moved the ad bar to the left side so that when the text overflows from the main page (which is apparently what was happening, since Dr. Beard put a long link in his post which wouldn't line-wrap), it doesn't overflow underneath the ad bar.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Well now, so much for theories. Now I see the ad on the left, obscuring the left side of the message boxes -names and such. And this is on the current page, not the one with the long link. And as I type this it's also on this page (!). And when I preview, it obscures that. Don't know what to say.

What does holding shift down while reloading do (I did it, made no difrerence)?

ashaffer
Site Admin

Postby ashaffer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:01 pm

Well now, so much for theories. Now I see the ad on the left, obscuring the left side of the message boxes -names and such. And this is on the current page, not the one with the long link. And as I type this it's also on this page (!). And when I preview, it obscures that. Don't know what to say.

Hi,

What screen resolution are you running at? (Which browser are you using?) Does the ad bar obscure the alphadictionary header image at the top at all? If you want to email me a screenshot, click the little "email" graphic on the left directly underneath my avatar.

I've also made one more small change that might fix things - the ad bar should be no wider than the Rosetta Stone ad, and the main body of the page should be no wider (except for about 10 pixels on either side) than the header image. If there is blank space on either side, then something's breaking my carefully crafted layout. :)

(Also, holding shift should force the page to reload all the resources the page uses, like images and stylesheets and such.)

Thanks,

Andrew
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Hi,

What screen resolution are you running at? (Which browser are you using?) Does the ad bar obscure the alphadictionary header image at the top at all? If you want to email me a screenshot, click the little "email" graphic on the left directly underneath my avatar.

I've also made one more small change that might fix things - the ad bar should be no wider than the Rosetta Stone ad, and the main body of the page should be no wider (except for about 10 pixels on either side) than the header image. If there is blank space on either side, then something's breaking my carefully crafted layout. :)

(Also, holding shift should force the page to reload all the resources the page uses, like images and stylesheets and such.)

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew, you may have got it this time ..now that I return to the page the adbar is unencroaching. I'm sure it was obscuring the header image before. I do notice now that some of its longer links are truncated due to its new behaviour, where they were not truncated before.

Screen resolution is 1280x1024 on this particular unit. Still on IE6.0. I don't know if I'm any help here. Sorry, I'd like to carry this techtalk off the board but I don't see any e-mail link.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:23 pm

Send him a PM (Private Message). Use the button.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:36 pm

works for me.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Languages of the World”