Blackguard

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Blackguard

Postby Stargzer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:24 pm

blackguard

SYLLABICATION: black·guard
PRONUNCIATION: blăg'ərd, -ärd'
NOUN: 1. A thoroughly unprincipled person; a scoundrel. 2. A foul-mouthed person.
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: black·guard·ed, black·guard·ing, black·guards
To abuse verbally; revile.
OTHER FORMS: blackguard·ism —NOUN
blackguard·ly —ADJECTIVE & ADVERB

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Tim's post on the Canting Dictionary inspired me to add one of my favorite words. It's a bit more genteel than calling someone a no-good S.O.B.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

hotshoe
Junior Lexiterian

Postby hotshoe » Fri May 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I like it. A reprobate. A nogoodnik. Ne'er-do-well. Degenerate (n).

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed May 31, 2006 1:21 am

Walt Kelley used it, spelling it as "blaggard" if I members kreckly.

[side note: I can no longer determine whether Walt's name has one or two letters E -anyone know for certain? I know the -ey spelling is a Protestant signature (the so-called "Scotch-Irish") while -y is the Catholic, so I lean to the former for the esteemed cartoonist, but I don't know for sure.]
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 31, 2006 7:05 pm

Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 pm

All of the definitions for this item seem to apply to Red Guard also.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed May 31, 2006 10:15 pm

Walt Kelly according to Wikipedia.
I saw that but I saw as many entries spelling "-ey" and, call me crazed, but I just don't fully trust Wikipedia for this fine a level of accuracy. Rowrbazzle!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:16 pm

I saw that but I saw as many entries spelling "-ey" and, call me crazed, but I just don't fully trust Wikipedia for this fine a level of accuracy. Rowrbazzle!
Then perhaps you'd believe one of the larger Capitalistic Enterprises on the 'Net?

Besides, Kelly and Pogo seem to me to be the kind of topics to attract finiky fans as watchdogs and editors.
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Then perhaps you'd believe one of the larger Capitalistic Enterprises on the 'Net?

Besides, Kelly and Pogo seem to me to be the kind of topics to attract finiky fans as watchdogs and editors.
Latter point agreed, but no, I'm not ready to invest Amazon with ultimate authority either. :?

Maybe I'm just afflicted with a romantic ideal that our orthography may still have some wiggle room left before we hit the ailing wall of the Absolute, but I'm still torn by WK's own description of himself as, in part, 'Scotch-Irish' <wince>, which would favour an -ey ending. Nevertheless, since that very info came from his own autobiography, I am compelled to concede the Kelly spelling with reservation.

Then again, that bio was found on the Internet, so all bets are off!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”