LOQUACIOUS

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

LOQUACIOUS

Postby Bailey » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:41 pm

This came is second in the Bulwer Lytton contest
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?" (Stuart Vasepuru, Edinburgh, Scotland)
see here
lo·qua·cious (l-kwshs)
adj.
Very talkative; garrulous.

[From Latin loqux, loquc-, from loqu, to speak; see tolkw- in Indo-European roots.]

lo·quacious·ly adv.
lo·quacious·ness, lo·quaci·ty (l-kws-t) n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. loquacious - full of trivial conversation; "kept from her housework by gabby neighbors"
chatty, gabby, garrulous, talkative, talky
voluble - marked by a ready flow of speech; "she is an extremely voluble young woman who engages in soliloquies not conversations"
but then garrulous. is nice too.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Bailey, I never thought I'd see another Agoran invoke the Bulwer-Lytton site. I salute you, sir.

I am the (somewhat) proud owner of a hardbound, 1880's edition of the Complete Works, purchased from a dusty D-- M----- bookseller, discovered fortuitously one bright and sunny morning, and proving irresistible to my (otherwise impeccable) taste, due entirely to the hilarious spacing of the motto emblazoned upon the embossed and gilded covers.

-gailr

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Bailey, thank you! That was hilarious--I hadn't been to that site in some while.
In this day and age when the great unwashed while in pursuit of the almighty dollar have forgotten that the pen is mightier than the sword, I am somewhat jealous of Bulwer-Lytton. He has such a rotten reputation as a writer, yet there are few folks who have not heard of at least some of his phrases.
I should be so bad a writer that I'll be remembered 150 years after my death.
Ah, well, Lord willing, I may become such a bad writer yet! (My wife says I'm closer than I think. I'm afraid she may mean that in more than one way!)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 pm

are you kidding? I post my own purplish prose to the contest each year, alas I'm just not indigo enough.
Having attempted to write the great American Novel, I've struggled with the 'Dark and Stormy night' commencement often.

mark
This is the reply I rec'd from my latest submissions
Your submissions have arrived and will receive the treatment they deserve.
the rules conclude with: Finally, in keeping with the gravitas, high seriousness, and general bignitude of the contest, the grand prize winner will receive . . . a pittance.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Bailey, I never thought I'd see another Agoran invoke the Bulwer-Lytton site. I salute you, sir.

I am the (somewhat) proud owner of a hardbound, 1880's edition of the Complete Works, purchased from a dusty D-- M----- bookseller, discovered fortuitously one bright and sunny morning, and proving irresistible to my (otherwise impeccable) taste, due entirely to the hilarious spacing of the motto emblazoned upon the embossed and gilded covers.

-gailr
The wife, Rosina Doyle Wheeler, looks like an interesting character in her own rite. She brings to mind another famous quote, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:14 pm

... general bignitude ...
Bailey, you've got the shadowy outline of a character sketch right there, a literary Adam, awaiting only the deft touch of a master's pen to bring him to life. Suffer the artifice to commence!
-gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”