Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art
 

expunge

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

expunge

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:47 am

expunge
Etymology: Latin expungere to mark for deletion by dots, from ex- + pungere to prick -- more at PUNGENT
1 : to strike out, obliterate, or mark for deletion
2 : to efface completely : DESTROY
3 : to eliminate (as a memory) from one's consciousness
- ex·pung·er noun

I love this word. Seeing a record "cleared" cannot possibly be as viscerally satisfying as seeing it expunged. It's a word that sounds like it means business.

In play: I have no photos of exes. Each is, when replaced, expunged from the album. :lol:
-gailr
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:14 am

The third definition is the one that seems most often used. The scond is an easy leap of faith from the third. I had never known about expunge as a synonym for strikethrough.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby Bailey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:07 am

[quote="Gailr"][quote]
1 : to strike out, obliterate, or mark for deletion
2 : to efface completely : DESTROY

mark I'd-rather-have-my-record-expunged-than-be-expunged Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby Stargzer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm

Perry wrote:The third definition is the one that seems most often used. The scond is an easy leap of faith from the third. I had never known about expunge as a synonym for strikethrough.


I think you struck out there with strikethrough; it's not quite the same. Expunge is something that can happen to court records.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:49 pm

Stargzer wrote:
Perry wrote:The third definition is the one that seems most often used. The scond is an easy leap of faith from the third. I had never known about expunge as a synonym for strikethrough.


I think you struck out there with strikethrough; it's not quite the same. Expunge is something that can happen to court records.


I was noting this:
1 : to strike out, obliterate, or mark for deletion
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:23 am

Go ahead, ruin a perfectly good pun. :wink:

How one marks for deletion can vary, I suppose, both as to style and definition.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby gailr » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:49 am

Stargzer wrote:How one marks for deletion can vary, I suppose, both as to style and definition.

Wielding a red pen while wearing a fetching "editor" cap is always great fun.
Although the auteur is apt to whine if his purple prose is reduced to a more conventional navy.

Black magic marker works very nicely.
Although, that isn't so much expunged as classified and blacked-out, I suppose.

Scissors work very nicely, too.
And they are faster than piercing a bunch of small dots.
Although, perhaps, not as satisfying...

-gailr :D
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:44 am

Stargzer wrote:Go ahead, ruin a perfectly good pun. :wink:

How one marks for deletion can vary, I suppose, both as to style and definition.


Just as long as we don't Mark Bailey for deletion!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:21 am

gailr wrote:...

Scissors work very nicely, too.
And they are faster than piercing a bunch of small dots.
Although, perhaps, not as satisfying...

-gailr :D


In re-reading this post I was reminded of the scissors scene from Amélie as the ultimate use of this tool in editing. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD


Return to Good Word Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests