Funereal

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Funereal

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:53 pm

• funereal •

Pronunciation: fyu-ni-ri-êl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Related in any way to a funeral. 2. Like a funeral: mournful, somber, sorrowful, woebegone.

Notes: Today's woeful word is the adjective of funeral. (We hope it doesn't spoil your cheery mood.) It does support an adverb, funereally and, maybe, funereality, if you aren't afraid to stretch it that far. It looks much like its underlying noun, funeral, so be careful of the spelling since it is pronounced quite different from the noun.

In Play: Because English allows nouns to be used as adjectives before other nouns, we tend to use funeral, the noun, in attributive position where today's word would be expected: "The funereal (funeral) proceedings were interrupted by a knock coming from inside the coffin." However, the second sense above can only be expressed by this Good Word itself: "The boisterous laughter gave way to a funereal silence when the stranger announced that he was the new minister at the Methodist Church."

Word History: This oft neglected word comes from Latin funereus, the adjective of funus (funer-) "funeral". The original root was PIE dhou-/dheu "to close, finish, die", with the initial [dh] which, like [bh], often became [f] in Latin. The same word underlies English dead and death, which comes as no surprise. It is surprising that English dune comes from the same root. Etymologists believe that dune was derived from this root because hills were favorite places for closed fortresses. However, dunes also look like graves. (Now a round of e-applause for Tim Ward, who suggested that we take up today's somber Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Funereal

Postby bbeeton » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:59 am

"Funereal proceedings" can apply to something other than a funeral, perhaps a seance, where the modifying noun "funeral" itself would not be appropriate. It seems to be implied otherwise here.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:07 pm

I once saw it use in reference to an incorrigible
boy outside the principal's office where his
parents were meeting with said school head.
He sat in "funereal silence".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 pm

Luke, I didn't know we were acquainted during my misspent youth. I had a number of "funereal silence" episodes in the distant past. One incident was with a dear teacher, who I respected greatly, but with whom I argued that a civil war poet wrote poems about the civil war. She averred that a Civil War poet lived during the civil war. The poet in question was Lanier who is one of my favorites.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:38 am

Funny that these days, funerals are often upbeat celebrations of a life well lived. I must say I prefer this modern style. Perhaps funereal will gradually change its meaning?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:16 pm

. One incident was with a dear teacher, who I respected greatly, but with whom I argued that a civil war poet wrote poems about the civil war. She averred that a Civil War poet lived during the civil war. The poet in question was Lanier who is one of my favorites.
Most interesting Philip. I had many funereal silence periods as
well, on the bench outside the principal's door. The waiting
was the dreadful part. Of course, in those days when you got
home it happened again, not like today.

And I see too that today's funerals are often 'celebrations of life'.
Attendees often asked to dress in the deceased favorite color,
or wear sports attire the deceased favored.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:28 am

As a Christian, I find funerals valuable as a celebration of a life well lived. For many years, when I was a deacon, I attended every funeral held in our church. I always found them blessed events.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:13 am

But Philip, the poor person for whom we all gather is dead and has no knowledge or care for the ceremony. Why on earth (literally) can we not celebrate a person's life whilst they are still around to appreciate it?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:54 am

Every day should be a celebration of life. The funeral is for the benefit of the bereft. We must carry the torch forward. Remembering the dead adds continuity to our life.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:56 am

I think that's my point, Philip. Every day should be a celebration of life but it isn't. We wait till someone dies before we celebrate his or her life. And that's sad for the person who has died, when we could as easily celebrate them before they die. And they too could have enjoyed
the celebration.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”