Alimentary

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Alimentary

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:30 pm

• alimentary •

Pronunciation: æ-lê-men-têr-ree • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Concerning food, nutrition, or digestion. 2. Providing nourishment or sustenance.

Notes: This word is most often used in the phrases 'alimentary canal' or 'alimentary tract', referring to the gullet. It has several less often used synonyms, alimental, alimentive, and alimentarious. Alimentation "process of being nourished; provision of a means of living" implies a verb alimentate, but it does not seem to exist.

In Play: As already mentioned, alimentary is most often used in reference to the gullet: "Jeremiah could feel the 'meal' he had just eaten squirm its alimentary way back up from his stomach." Now, imagine the following conversation between Sherlock Holmes and his chronicler, Dr. Watson:
  • Watson: "Holmes, please tell me why you eat so much?
    Holmes: "Alimentary, my dear Watson; I want to ensure that my body has all the nutrients it needs."
Word History: English, as usual, took this word from French alimentaire without paying. French inherited it from Latin alimentarius "related to food", the adjective for alimentum "food, nourishment", the noun from alere "to nourish, feed, grow; support, maintain". Latin built its word on PIE al- "to grow, feed, birth" + -mentum, a deverbal noun-forming suffix . We find al- in Sanskrit arati "caretaker" (all Ls became Rs in Sanskrit), Greek alma "grove", Welsh alu "to birth", Latin altus "high", English old, German alt "old", and Dutch oud "old". Latin almus "nourishing", with its feminine alma as in 'alma mater' "nourishing mother", is another offspring of the PIE word. (Now, let's give an e-bow to wordmaster William Hupy for setting Dr. Goodword off on yet another enlightening journey into today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Alimentary

Postby bbeeton » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:49 am

There's a delightful book "Through the alimentary canal with gun and camera : a fascinating trip to the interior, personally conducted by George S. Chappell". The introduction is by Robert Benchley, and it's illustrated by O. Soglow. Published in 1930, it exhibits the contemporary style of humor.

A review in The American Biology Teacher is reproduced at https://online.ucpress.edu/abt/article- ... m=fulltext

I was introduced to this by an M.D., a former relative by marriage. I'd certainly enjoy reading it again if I can find a copy.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Alimentary

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:03 am

When I saw this good word, I immediately thought about Holmes and Watson. Then I saw that the Good Doctor had beat me to it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”