Sham

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sham

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:20 pm

• sham •

Pronunciation: shæm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, adjective

Meaning: 1. (Noun) Hoax, fraud. 2. (Adjective) Fake, deceitful, fraudulent, faux.

Notes: Today's noun may be used not only as an adjective, but as a verb, as 'she shams her injuries'. Don't forget to double the M before any suffix: shammed, shamming, and shammer.

In Play: This word works whenever we mean "pretense": "Phil Anders is so consistently unfaithful, his marriage is just a sham." The adjective may be used in the sense of fake: "Sham marriages are often arranged to facilitate migrating from one country to another."

Word History: Today's Good Word migrated from a dialect in northern England, where shame was pronounced sham. Shame was derived from Proto-Germanic skamo, source also of Dutch schaamte, German Scham, and Swedish skam. Proto-German skamo came from Proto-Indo-European (s)kem-/(s)kom- "to cover, hide, conceal", back when covering yourself was to prevent shame. No, shampoo is not a reduction of sham poo. (Now let's welcome back Albert Skiles, whom we haven't heard from since 2017. He's the contributor of some 30-odd Good Words including today's rather deceptive one.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Sham

Postby Slava » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:34 am

I should probably wait until March, but it's a shame to miss this opportunity: Down with shamrocks, I demand real rocks! :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Groan! Is that a Dad joke, Slava?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:33 am

I don't know the definition of a dad joke. If the teller must be a dad, then, no, it's not one. If any 'groaner' counts, I guess it is.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”