Ream

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ream

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:30 pm

• ream •

Pronunciation: reem • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To enlarge a hole with a special tool (see top picture), removing excess material. 2. To extract juice from a citrus fruit using a juicer or reamer (see lower picture). 3. To rebuke someone fiercely.
Notes: This word has a fourth meaning that is vulgar slang that I decided to leave to your imagination. The only family this word has is reamer and reaming, which is used as a noun and adjective.

In Play: The basic sense of ream turns up in sentences like this: "If the hole is too small, use a screwdriver or round file to ream out the hold until the fastener slides in snugly." The vulgar sense may be cleaned up in common expressions like this: "His wife reamed him a new one on finding out that he had spent the afternoon at the racetrack rather than at the home improvement store."
Word History: In Old English today's word was ryman "widen, enlarge". The Old English word goes back to Old Germanic rumijan based on rumaz "spacious", also the source of room in the sense of "space". Germanic rumaz came from a suffixed form of PIE reue- "open up; (make) space". We see the same suffix in English room, German Raum, Swedish and Danish rum, and Norwegian rom—all meaning "space". With the suffix -s the same root shows up in Latin rus "open land, countryside", that we see in the English borrowings rustic and rural. (Let's not give Rob Towart reason to rebuke us for failing to acknowledge him for his gracious suggestion of yet another fascinating Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ream

Postby David Myer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 am

Ahh, but why is 500 sheets of A4 paper a ream of paper? I'm not sure but I think you buy a ream even if it is A3 paper - or, dare I say it, American quarto - as long as there are 500 sheets.

Why is 500 sheets a ream?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 am

You beat me to the question. 500 sheets of paper is the only
way I've heard the word.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:37 pm

That is actually a different word, coincidentally identical, and always has been. However, it has a fascinating history.

The noun ream comes from Old French reyme, which borrowed it from Spanish resma. Spanish got its word from Arabic rizmah "bundle" (of paper), from rasama "collect into a bundle." The Moors brought manufacture of cotton paper to Spain.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Now that is interesting. Thanks Doc!
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 pm

etymonline says "ream" referring to bundles of paper came into English in the mid-14th century. Note that this ream is a noun with no verbal component while the Word-of-the-Day ream is a verb and the noun member of its family is "reamer." I suspect this verb and its family members "reamer" and "reaming" are well-known to those involved in woodworking, construction and machinery repair.

I once bought a kit to make an Adirondack rocking chair and some of the pieces didn't quite fit together. I had to ream out some of the pre-drilled holes to get the parts to fit together.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 pm

In my college days I worked as an intern at a large natural gas processing plant. Every summer they gave me a different job assignment. in my third summer they put me in the big engine maintenance department. It was hot and dirty work. I became ill and was sent to the hospital. On my return they judged me too weak to work on the big engines so they put me in the truck and auto shop.
Being used to great force in applying or removing bolts, I was not prepared to to put the head back on a truck engine. Totally forgetting the use of a torque wrench, I tightened the bolts with a regular wrench. I stripped the threads. After being figuratively reamed by the shop manager, I had to ream the bolt holes and use oversize bolts.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Lovely story, Phillip. I expect the truck still rumbles along today. Ahh, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:09 pm

On the big engines we counted torque by the number of men it took to pull on the very long wrench handle extension to get the bolt tight enough.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”