Mountebank

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Mountebank

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 pm

• mountebank •

Pronunciation: mæwnt-ê-bængk • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Older sense) A purveyor of quack medicines who uses sweet talk and trickery to make sales. 2. (Current sense) A sophisticated swindler, a smooth talker who hoodwinks or bamboozles people out of their money.

Notes: Today's word is related to saltimbanco, with the same meaning, used into the first half of the 20th century. Saltimbanco originally meant "leap onto a bench" (see saltate, Word History). Saltimbanco faded away in the early part of the 20th century and was replaced by today's word. Mountebank may be used as a verb, as 'to mountebank among the hoity-toity', and mountebankery has been widely used to refer to the activities of a mountebank.

In Play: Mountebanks naturally gravitate toward money: "Bernie Madoff is one of the most sophisticated financial mountebanks of the 20th century." Television now brings the mountebank's bench right into our living rooms: "Henny Peckham worked for 17 years as a TV mountebank who hawked weight-loss pills to a gullible public."

Word History: This Good Word started out as Italian montambanco from the phrase monta in banco "to mount a bench", containing monta "mounts, gets up on" + banco "bench". The reference here is to itinerant salesmen who hawked their wares from a bench or other raised platform. Bank, the financial institution, took its name from the money-changer's bench or counter of times long past. In the original sense, bank mutated into banch and, finally, bench. Italian montare "mount, get up on" is obviously related to English mount and mountain, both borrowed from French, which makes it a distant cousin of mound.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Mountebank

Postby David Myer » Sun May 31, 2020 7:58 am

Same as a charlatan, I suspect. Not a bench climber, but a smooth talker. Perhaps we should create a portmanteau word for a smooth talker standing on a bench. A charlebank?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 pm

David: Your "charlebank" reminds me of the British word "charabanc." Charabanc was an alpha-agora Good Word a few years ago.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:04 am

Philip, I couldn't find charabanc in the Good Word Dictionary so I looked it up using the link to many online dictionaries. I found this one from the American Heritage Dictionary.
n.
Chiefly British
A bus typically used for sightseeing, originally open and pulled by horses.
[From French char à bancs : char, coach, carriage (from Old French, cart; see CHARIOT) + à, with (from Latin ad, toward; see AD-) + bancs, benches, pl. of banc (from Old French; see BANK3).]

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:42 pm

bnjtokyo: I Googled "charabanc" then selected "Images: and get a plethora of pictures of charabancs.

Back to the good word Mountebank. Here in the hinterlands we call them "snake oil peddlers". I grew up in a rural area of south Texas. The area was called Simmons. There was a small village and a large farm and ranch area, several hundred square miles. Dr. [so called] Simmons had a large ranch which he divided into farms and laid out a town site. He was rich, having made millions selling Dr Simmons' Patent Liver Regulator. He bought an immense ranch and pretended to be a rancher. He failed miserably and also lost his son to a rattlesnake bite. So he divided his ranch into hundreds of "farms" of various sizes. Each farm cost the same amount no matter the size.
The size of the farm you bought was to determined by a lottery. The sheriff of the county looked on lotteries with a jaundiced eye and forthwith shut Dr. Simmons down. The sale proceeded with legal bids on specific farms. Dr. Simmons jilted his wife and took up with his secretary who was also his sister-in-law. Then he absconded to what he thought would be greener pastures. He tried the same scheme in another county and with the same results. I think he then rode off into the sunset.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:39 pm

Great story, Phillip.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:57 am

Thanks David. I like true stories.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Charabanc on the Agora.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”