Comely

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Comely

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:00 pm

• comely •

Pronunciation: kêm-lee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Pretty, attractive, fair, of moderate beauty. 2. Seemly, polite, becoming.

Notes: The noun from this adjective is comeliness. The adverb is a tad more complicated. Though language tolerates repetition (see my comments in the Language Blog), English doesn't like identical adjacent syllables. That is why probably usually comes out prob'ly. The expected adverb for today's word, comelily, would contain just that, so one of the "-ly's" is dropped. As a result the adverb for comely is comely itself, as 'to behave comely in public'. Look out for this with all adjectives ending on -ly: to act manly, friendly, fatherly.

In Play: If you wish to express the sentiment "pretty", why not use a one of the 100 Most Beautiful Words in English? Today's Good Word fits the bill perfectly: "Maggie is a comely young girl whose behavior fits her appearance, don't you think?" It also has the advantage of referring to actions as well as things: "I didn't think it very comely of Harold to shake hands with the men and kiss the women in the reception line."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a rarity: a word of totally English origin. It can be traced back to Old English cymlic "lovely, delicate" from cyme "beautiful", totally unrelated to the verb come. It is related, however, to the second meaning of become, as in 'a hat that becomes you' or 'behavior unbecoming an officer'. The suffix, -ly, is a shortened version of like, whittled down by time: both come from Old English lic. Russian lico "face" is a distant cousin. It is interesting that lic was a word that became a suffix in words like manly and fatherly. Now, it would seem that the modern version lic, like, is repeating the process in words such as man-like and father-like.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Comely

Postby David Myer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:53 am

Banana? Perhaps not a very English word.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:28 pm

Banana? Perhaps not a very English word.
I think this one works because the two nas are pronounced differently. In probably and comelily, the elided bits are too similar to keep both and still pronounce smoothly.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 pm

In Hick-bonics banana is nan-er. My grandpa was the banana eating champion at the county fair. Perhaps I have mentioned it before. He was also the caber toss champion. When the banana eating contest came before the caber toss he was obligated to drop out of one of them. It was always a hard choice.

As for comely, it is a right comely word. May its tribe increase.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”