Cynic

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Cynic

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm

• cynic •

Pronunciation: si-nik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A person who believes everyone is motivated by selfishness. 2. An embittered sceptic who contemptuously questions all things. 3. (Capitalized: Cynic) Someone who subscribes to an ancient Greek philosophy characterized by an outspoken contempt for wealth and the hedonism it offers. Cynics argued that only self-control can lead to virtue, which is the only good.

Notes: Today's is a Good Word that landed a long way from home (see Word History). It comes with an adjective cynical, which has an adverb, cynically. The noun is unexpected: cynicism.

In Play: Cynicism is an extreme form of skepticism: "I admire altruism and hate to be a cynic, but I remain deeply skeptical of any act of corporate generosity." The adjective may be used in the same sense: "Too many cynical politicians these days see entering politics as an economic decision."

Word History: English borrowed this word from French cynique, inherited from Latin Cynicus, borrowed from Greek kunikos "doglike", a word based on kuon "dog". This word was applied to the Cynic philosophers led by Antisthenes, a pupil of Socrates. Antisthenes taught in an athletic training center called Kunosarges, which wags saw as a derivation from kuon. Antisthenes's followers, who dogged him around Athens, were referred to as "dogs". Antisthenes's most avid student was Diogenes of Sinope, who accepted this nickname as an apt description of the ascetic life he led, stripped of all elements of wealth and social convention. Greek kuon came from PIE kuon- "dog", which became Hund "dog" in German, canis "dog" in Latin (hence the English borrowing canine), and hound in English. In the Balto-Slavic languages initial [k] became [s] before [ r], [ u], [ k], and [ i], so we see it in Lithuanian as šuo "dog, cur" and in Latvian as suns "dog". (Our long-time friend and mega-contributor Jackie Strauss suggested we look into today's Good Word with the fascinating origin.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Cynic

Postby David Myer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:46 pm

Well, what a lot there is to learn from today’s word!

Interestingly, the second of the ‘In Play' examples of how to use it, suggests that the politicians are being cynical, but surely it is we who are cynical in our perception of them?

What a bunch of killjoys Antisthenes and his dogs must have been. Perhaps this is where the prefix anti- actually came from!

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am

I like your tongue-in-cheek etymology of anti-. It actually makes as much sense than the actual one.

The actual source of anti- is the same as anterior: PIE ant- "front, before" (Italian antipasto), where "in front of" glided into "across from, opposite" when applied to domiciles lining streets. From there it is only a skip (not even a hop) from its Late Latin meaning. (Apparently Old Italian didn't get the message.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Ahh! I had wondered how ante (before) and anti (against) related. Also why antipasto was not antepasto. Seems from what you say that ante and anti are actually the same thing with moved meanings over the years. Thanks for the enlightenment.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Diogenes the Cynic was (how to put this delicately?) an interesting character. He behaved in public and private in ways calculated to thoroughly annoy (and often disgust) everyone, it seems. Some of his habits I cannot describe in a forum as polite as this one.

But Diogenes (whose work survives only in references to him by subsequent writers) said some very interesting things. My favorite:
Most men are within a finger’s breadth of being mad.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Piqued by your coyness, George, I have delved, courtesy of the internet. Starting with the extensive entry in Wikipedia and continuing with some of its excellent links. He was obviously well regarded during the renaissance through to the late 19th century, as evidenced by some of the art referenced in the article. Raphael's fresco https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Schoo ... Urbino.jpg is a delight. Diogenes is the reclining figure in the middle in the comparatively simple dress.

Not really knowing anything about Diogenes hitherto, I am now a fan, although I don't think I will be throwing out my wine glasses anytime soon.

gwray
Lexiterian

Postby gwray » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Q: What is the difference between an optimist, a pessimist, and a cynic?
A: An optimist will let his teen-aged son borrow his new sports car; a pessimist won't let his son borrow the sports car; and the cynic has let his son borrow his brand new sports car.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

Return to “Good Word Discussion”