Hew

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Hew

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:49 pm

• hew •

Pronunciation: hyu • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. (Transitive) To chop, cleave or carve with an ax or similar tool, as 'a table hewn from a maple log' or 'to hew a lane through the woods'. 2. (Transitive) To fell, as 'to fell a tall pine'. 3. (Intransitive) To adhere or conform to, as 'to hew to the party line'.

Notes: Today's verb is as strong as the person must be who carries out the action: hew, hewed, hewn. Hew is a native English word, accompanied by a personal noun, hewer, and a passive adjective, hewable. For the action noun and active adjective, we use the present participle, hewing.

In Play: Stone may be hewn, too: "Mark sculptured a statue of his mother from a slab of marble hewn from the mountain behind his house." The intransitive sense of today's word is not only used in reference to party lines: "Very little Leighton Early says about himself hews to known facts."

Word History: Hew in Middle English was hewen, from Old English heawan. All Germanic languages, like Old English, made their words from PIE kau- "to hew, hit". In Dutch it emerged as houwen and, in German, hauen "to cut, strike, hew". They made other words from the same PIE word: English hay and hack come from the same PIE word. Haggle and haggis, the Scottish dish from chopped sheep innards stuffed inside the stomach, were made from Old Norse höggva "to chop, hew". In Latin we find caedere "to cut, hew, fell". It appears in Slavic languages as kovat' in Russian, in Serbian as kovati and in Polish as kuć—all meaning "to forge, to hammer out on an anvil". (Let me now hew to the tradition of thanking our contributors and recognize Rob Towart for sharing today's small but fascinating Good Word with us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Hew

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:26 am

"Mark sculptured a statue" - is there a difference between sculptured and sculpted?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 pm

I like one syllable words. Hew is a good one. In my English as a second language class [now done via e-mail] I am majoring on one syllable words with many different meanings.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm

There is a Biblical phrase "hewers of wood and drawers of water." see Joshua 9:21. It is used of menial drudges. Some religious groups designate others as being such in Heaven. An Orthodox Jew who is a friend of mine says I can go to Paradise on his coat tail IFF I am willing to be a "hewer of wood and drawer of water" there for him.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:33 am

Both 'hew' and 'cleave' have the same two opposite meanings of 'cut' and 'adhere (to)'. But I note that the two meanings of 'cleave' have different etymologies. How can the similar dual meaning of 'hew' be explained?

Could the 'adhere to' meaning of 'hew' have been subconsciously influenced by 'cleave'?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 am

How can the similar dual meaning of 'hew' be explained?

Could the 'adhere to' meaning of 'hew' have been subconsciously influenced by 'cleave'?

Etymonline has this to say on the question: "Seemingly contradictory sense of "hold fast, stick to" (in phrase hew to), 1891, developed from earlier figurative phrase hew to the line "stick to a course," literally "cut evenly with an axe or saw.""
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:57 am

Etymonline has this to say on the question: "Seemingly contradictory sense of "hold fast, stick to" (in phrase hew to), 1891, developed from earlier figurative phrase hew to the line "stick to a course," literally "cut evenly with an axe or saw.""
Thanks. So it seems that the similar double meaning of 'hew' and 'cleave' is coincidental.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”