Verily

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Verily

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:26 pm

• verily •

Pronunciation: ver-ê-li • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adverb

Meaning: 1. Truly, truthfully, in truth. 2. Factually, in fact, most assuredly.

Notes: Here is a word on the brink of extinction if it hasn't already gone over the edge. It is a pretty word, though, that might deserve one more chance. It is distantly related to very and verify, but these two words are its closest relatives.

In Play: The most recent usages according to the Oxford Online Dictionaries is in association with believe: "Mona Lissa verily believes everything I hear on the news." However, if you prefer speech tinged with a bit of historicity, you may use it elsewhere: "Verily, I say unto you, this is the most important election of our lifetimes." In the 1950s every high school in North Carolina had to teach a Shakespeare play each year. My coterie of friends was so impressed that we used this word all the time, along with prithee, Zounds!, and several others.

Word History: Today's Good Word is an adverb from the adverb very before the latter acquired its current meaning. In Middle English very was verrai "true, just, legal" from Old French verai "true, truthful" from Vulgar (Street) Latin veracus, the altered form of Classical Latin verax, veracis "truthful", based on verus "true". The sense of very changed in the 15th century to "greatly, extremely", but that of the duplicated adverb verily remained true to its roots. Latin verus (feminine vera) from PIE werê- "true, trustworthy". This same word came to Old English as waer "pledge", visible in warlock from OE waerloga "oath-breaker". Loga back then meant "liar". (Now for a standing ovation for Grand Panjandrum William Hupy for yet another in a long series of enticing Good Words. He is listed as a Junior Lexiterian in the Agora due to an error that forced him to reregister.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Verily

Postby MTC » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 am

According to a quick online search, “verily” is used in 113 Verses in 22 Books of the Bible. Not surprising, given that the
Bible is supposed to be the word of God.

I know there are or at least have been (Perry, in particular) some Biblical scholars who frequent this site. Perhaps one among them would care to expound on the use of “verily” in the Bible or leave the last word to a secular humanist like me.

William A Hupy
Lexiterian

Postby William A Hupy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 am

Very politely and humbly, I wish to state that I submitted this word on September 24, 2020.

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:52 am

The same PIE root produced Slavic vera which means faith. It's also a popular female name just like its English version.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:48 am

Very politely and humbly, I wish to state that I submitted this word on September 24, 2020.

And a very good word it is. Thank you.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:05 pm

My deepest apology to Mr. Hupy. I finally stopped misspelling his name and then left it out, accidentally, altogether. You have my attention now, William. There should be no mishaps with your attributions from this point on.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:28 am

MTC: Our friend Perry died last year. He and I were personal friends as well as Agora friends.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:21 am

Mr. Hudson:

So sorry to learn of Perry’s passing. You could feel his warmth
through cyberspace. He added a great deal to our discussions,
and he will be missed.

MTC

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:46 am

Mr. Hudson:

So sorry to learn of Perry’s passing. You could feel his warmth
through cyberspace. He added a great deal to our discussions,
and he will be missed.

MTC

I'll Piggy-back on that, if I may. Condolences.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:21 pm

I miss him, too. He was a Grand Panjandrum who joined us around 2006. He recommended many, many very Good Words.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:48 pm

The sense of very changed in the 15th century to "greatly, extremely", but that of the duplicated adverb verily remained true to its roots.
We still use very as an adjective in such expressions as "the very thing I wanted" and "the very devil of a problem".

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:48 am

Very in this sense is an intensifier, which is, in fact, not very far from "true". The very devil is close to "the true devil" and "the very thing I wanted" is just a hop (not even a skip) away from "the true thing I wanted".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:28 pm

And ----"verily" is one of those beautiful words that I like to hear and say. I don't remember it as being in the Good Doctor's list of beautiful words but, if he plans to expand the list, I nominate this good word for inclusion.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Noted. I agree that it is a beautiful one. It contains two "liquid consonants", R and L. They contribute mightily to the beauty of pronunciation.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”