Whilom

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Whilom

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:02 pm

• whilom •

Pronunciation: hwai-lêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective, adverb

Meaning: Former, erstwhile, past, ex-, late in the sense of "deceased".

Notes: Here is a rather historical word that we still find in all dictionaries, and for those of us who enjoy 19th, even 18th century novels, it's a word we bump into now and then. Let's give it another chance. At one time we could add to whilom the adverbial -s, as in upstairs, outdoors, indoors to clarify its adverbial sense (whiloms), but that didn't last long.

In Play: As an adjective, today's word may be used to express sentiments like this: "Aubrey stared wistfully across the crowded room at his whilom girlfriend." As an adverb, it was used like this: "Whilom I dreamed longingly of my younger years until I learned to never look back."

Word History: Old English hwilum meant "occasionally". It was the dative case of the noun hwil "a period of time", a sense which is preserved today in expressions like 'a while ago' and 'a while back'. The English [h] goes back to PIE [k], so it comes as no surprise that this word came into English from the PIE word kweiê-/kwoiê- "to rest quietly, quiet, peaceful". This word also went into the making of Sanskrit ciram "after a long time, slowly" and Latin quie(t)s "rest, quiet", which English snatched as quiet. We find remnants of it with a prefix in Russian pokoy "peace, rest" as in pokoynik "dead person".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Whilom

Postby David Myer » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:03 am

We are told here: ...Old English hwilum meant "occasionally". It was the dative case of the noun hwil "a period of time"...

I am interested that 'occasionally' seems to me to be antithetical to 'a period of time'. Occasions are limited time events, where a period of time such as is implied in the word 'while', might be an extended episode. I wonder if hwilum really meant 'on occasions' rather than 'for a period or periods'?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Whilom

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 am

If you have a whilom girlfriend, don't bring her memory up to your wife.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”