politics

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
cfz3
Junior Lexiterian

politics

Postby cfz3 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:53 pm

I am sure that most of your readers will notice, as did I, your brief but partisan political commentary. This marks the first time I can remember you taking a political stand in the daily alphaDictionary posts, your otherwise neutral, non-biased posts notwithstanding.

C Freund

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Re: politics

Postby damoge » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:01 pm

I thought the Good Doctor's comment was most apt. I know many people of very differing political, social, and religious persuasions who were relieved to have the election done, whether they were pleased with the result or not.
I, on the other hand, was quite prepared that November 3rd would not mark the end of the election.
From mid-March, just before our primary elections, I began wearing a pin that was just the word "vote". By mid-October, I added above it a pin that is just the word "YES".
The pin I'm wearing now has elicited comments of approval from people of all camps.
It is "OH Sxxx".
I'm sure many of you would find that offensive. I have found it a way to
start conversations, and leave us with smiles.
Please, for the sake of our country, our mental well being, our progeny, let's stop trying to find ways to object to one another's statements. Let's find a way to believe the most benign interpretation is that which is meant, and agree to disagree when we can't. But above all, relish the fact that here, still, we can each have and say out loud, a point of view without having to be politically correct by any standard other than our own.
Everything works out, one way or another

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:08 pm

I am sure that most of your readers will notice, as did I, your brief but partisan political commentary. This marks the first time I can remember you taking a political stand in the daily alphaDictionary posts, your otherwise neutral, non-biased posts notwithstanding.

C Freund

it may be the first time you noticed it, but it is not the first time.
If we cannot have academia with out politics, then I will leave.
I will not abide by having political opinion (we all know the saying
about everyone has an opinion, like everyone has an...) forced down my throat
when I come for academic enlightenment, which I enjoy. Opinion
has taken over the media, and I have to subscribe to foreign
news to get a more balanced outlook. Our media is no longer news,
but more drivel by talking heads. I've been here since Doc's days
with WOTD, a predessesor of AGORA, and I'm the loser.
I wrote Doc yesterday about it, and he
did it again today. So I'm opting out.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:54 pm

I apologize for the consternation among those of you who were offended by the politicization of the Good Word. It is a time of vastly unusual political danger that I have never experienced before in my lifetime. I must admit that it is on my mind all the time. I am terrified at what is occurring in a country I have tried to make better all my life.

I have decided to remove the offensive line. I was also chided for missing the point in the psychological definition of narcissism. so I've revised that a bit, too.

I will work harder to keep politics out of the Good Words in future, while keeping the words topical.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”